What did you eat from the garden today?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I was thinking of baking it too… I may toss half of it into the oven with that pork chop!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DD1 ate the first ripe cherry tomato yesterday! Other than that, mostly we've just eaten lettuce.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay for the first tomato!!

Let's see - what did I eat from the garden today? Does milk from a doe who ate weeds in the garden count?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Serviceberries and blackberries.

All the blackberries are starting to ripen finally. I'll have enough to make seedless jam in a few weeks

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I leggy carrot and some swiss chard, which went into a stir fry. Waiting on those tomatoes...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That zucchini looks almost like a little watermelon. Cute. I like to use the oversized zucs to fill with a stuffing...sometimes with other zeggies or some ground meats. Depends on if I want a side or main dish from it. They're good with onion, garlic, peppers, stuffing mix, scooped out -- filled -- cheese sprinkled on top -- baked. I've also thrown in things like rice and whatever.

I'm baking a couple of these butternut, from last year! -- over the weekend. May even make a little bit of soup. And need to cook & can the rest. I raised this last year and they are a great storing squash!! Will grow more of them next year.

Yes -- FEM -- we can count that goat milk! Especially if you milked her while in there :D

I made some nectarine preserves -- only a perfect pint size batch -- from some I had brought home from a demo last week and didn't eat, so --- had to "do" something. Today, I had more of them come home. About 5#. Plan to do some more of those jam/preserves. Using 1/2 pint jars this time. And 2# of apricots left, so I am putting slices in the dehydrator. Should have some figs ripening soon, another dehydrator thing, from a friends tree. We have 3 branches in dirt at the base of her tree, to root up for me to bring here.

These fruits are nice because I can water bath a few jars easily. I mixed the ones I just made with raspberry balsamic vinegar, sugar & a touch of cloves. Cooked them down to a thick consistency. Tasted good.

My garden is grass but, I am going to make good use of all this lovely free fruit!!

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have A DAY off...so went to garden and here is what part of my family ate from there...…

20180804garden.jpg

20180804garden2.jpg

It was somewhat of a lost cause, as I'd said before -- they loved me for it! :lol: We had somewhat of a breeze and yes, there is still a sun up there!! More rain tonight, they say. We're down to 25% scattered showers each day next week - so, tapering off.:rolleyes: