What do I do with THIS???

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would dehydrate onions but that's just me. I like to put as little in the freezer as I can. Or if you're a canner you could make a HUGE batch of something that needs onions like meatloaf, spaghetti sauce or soup and then can it.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas!

Does anybody else have something they need help using up?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Freeze or dehydrate them, or throw them in the blender and make onion juice. The juice can be frozen or kept refrigerated to use in dressings or anywhere you don't want chunks of onion.

Baked onions... a great side dish for meat or vegetarian meals.

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1380
We use onion juice to make gravies more flavorful. I use my garlic press to juice small amounts.
Does the juice freeze well or could I can it?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't feed scraps to my chickens or other animals at all.
BUT I hate the kitchen waste also and all my veggie waste etc. goes into composting. So it isn't a waste, but I hate knowing I have things that go to waste also.

We have too much. Seriously.

I am thinking that instead of a 5 lb. bag of onions is a deal, why not pay a little higher price and buy 3 onions for the week, or 4 for 2 weeks or how ever long before you go shopping again?

I am saying this out loud cause I had to compost some taters. I bought a buy one, get one free 5 lb. bag.....so 10 lbs. WELL we hardly eat taters. I don't cause I am low carb and Tony has been backing off them also. And before I could do anything with them, I saw them and thought, "when did I get these?" and voila, they were mushy! Ewww....LOL

Honestly I can't be on top of everything all the time..LOL

My freezers are packed, my pantry is full.....I think it is time for me to buy less food....not look for the bagged bulk deal, and buy individual food and eat it and not waste it.

In other countries, they shop for like 3-4 days of meals. They have the tiny refrigs. They eat fresh from the market and only what they can buy fresh. They don't freeze, dehydrate, juice, can, preserve like crazy me to the level I do...LOL

I wonder if I take it too far sometimes.....

well just rambling....thinking out loud and wondering if I should be changing how I spend and eat truly.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Here ya go... I bought two pork butts on Big Sale the other week, and as of about 45 minute from now will have a VAST quantity of imitation Carolina BBQ. I'm guessing 8+ lbs.

Being as it is not *actual* Carolina bbq, there is a limit to how much of it I can eat plain, even out of the freezer as time goes by. It is eastern-style bbq, with a mostly-just-vinegar mopping sauce not actual gloppy bbq sauce in it. Some pulled, some chopped.

Burritos of course, and I expect it would be good in fried rice. What else?

Pat

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
2 -10 pound bags of potatos would last me oh.....maybe a week and a half. LOL We eat taters around here. If by some chance they are going bad we grate them, vaccum seal and use them for hash browns. Make sure to soak them for a few minutes in water and then lay out on either paper towels or a cotton towel t get as much water as possible out of them.

All veggies will be frozen or dehydrated or occasionally fed to the chickens or rabbits. I figure that anything I can buy in the frozen food section can be frozen at home by me. I then use them in soups, stews, veggie packets on the grill, etc.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Here ya go... I bought two pork butts on Big Sale the other week, and as of about 45 minute from now will have a VAST quantity of imitation Carolina BBQ. I'm guessing 8+ lbs.

Being as it is not *actual* Carolina bbq, there is a limit to how much of it I can eat plain, even out of the freezer as time goes by. It is eastern-style bbq, with a mostly-just-vinegar mopping sauce not actual gloppy bbq sauce in it. Some pulled, some chopped.

Burritos of course, and I expect it would be good in fried rice. What else?

Pat
Oooh! Ooooh! Can I answer??? And, actually, it would work great with what I need to use up, too :D. We love stir-fried garlic, onions and cabbage as the bed for bbq meat, any meat. I'm thinking bbq pork would be so incredibly yummy with this and maybe some homemade cranberry sauce. Would that fit your family's tastes? Hmm... Gotta work a dip in there someplace for your little guy :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
2dream said:
2 -10 pound bags of potatos would last me oh.....maybe a week and a half. LOL We eat taters around here. If by some chance they are going bad we grate them, vaccum seal and use them for hash browns. Make sure to soak them for a few minutes in water and then lay out on either paper towels or a cotton towel t get as much water as possible out of them.

All veggies will be frozen or dehydrated or occasionally fed to the chickens or rabbits. I figure that anything I can buy in the frozen food section can be frozen at home by me. I then use them in soups, stews, veggie packets on the grill, etc.
LOL---yea these bags I put under the cabinet and forgot about them. When you don't use something, you just forget....and forgetting is getting easier for me each year..HA HA

I eat taters when my new red potatoes are harvested. I eat more during that time then any other time. I just love those midget little suckers. I pull them "real small" like marble size and roast !!! oh man......

I never thought of shredding and freezing....thanks!

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
last night I made saffron rice with kielbasa, peas and corn. My older son came home late and picked out the rest of the kielbasa so now I have rice leftover, what can I do with it for supper tonight? Its not plain, its got saffron in it.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
that sounds really good, me&thegals, I will try it! :) Actually now that you mention it I could give Harry some of the bigger pieces of pork for lunch with a dip of some sort... :)

Leftover rice is good for making fried rice. Saffron wouldn't hurt it a bit :) Or, if it's not that much, mix it with some canned salmon and grated carrots and egg to make a sort of pancake/frittata type thing, that's good too. I use small amounts of leftover rice in meatloaf. And there's always soup of course!

Pat