What do I do with THIS???

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
that sounds really good, me&thegals, I will try it! :) Actually now that you mention it I could give Harry some of the bigger pieces of pork for lunch with a dip of some sort... :)

Leftover rice is good for making fried rice. Saffron wouldn't hurt it a bit :) Or, if it's not that much, mix it with some canned salmon and grated carrots and egg to make a sort of pancake/frittata type thing, that's good too. I use small amounts of leftover rice in meatloaf. And there's always soup of course!

Pat
hmmmm, it is probably at least 2 cups. I have 2 chicken breasts in the freezer maybe I will make some chicken rice soup with a twist tomorrow. I had planned on making some chicken soup but hadnt thought about it at the moment, thanks.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
FarmerChick -- The other thing you can do with potatoes is make a big batch of mashed potatoes (just potatoes, no butter or milk added) and freeze that.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
FarmerChick -- The other thing you can do with potatoes is make a big batch of mashed potatoes (just potatoes, no butter or milk added) and freeze that.
oh really....I didn't think of that one.

just freeze mashed.....then add butter and milk to make mashed potatoes after it is thawed out????

if so then that is a great deal! I will do that!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Apparently! I haven't added butter/milk and made mashed potatoes yet with the ones I have frozen . . . I shamefully forgot about them. LOL But I read about storing potatoes this way. I was also going to make a soup that I use mashed potatoes in. You could probably make a bunch of stuff with the frozen mashed potatoes, like potato breads, etc.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
We freeze a LOT of mashed potatoes to use later. Lots easier than trying to keep them from sprouting! LOL!

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
DrakeMaiden said:
We freeze a LOT of mashed potatoes to use later. Lots easier than trying to keep them from sprouting! LOL!
awesome, i buy a bag of potatoes but often dont finish them, that is a great idea, just like you can buy in the freezer section but done yourself.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the frozen mashed potato tip! We have trouble using a bag before they go bad.

Gay Renee

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I remember when I was a kid and mom would go to the grocery store every Sat. morning regular as clockwork, because she didn't drive, and dad would take her because he didn't work on Saturday . . .she would have a list made out to the very last detail, and that was it. Dad might pick up a loaf of bread or 1/2 gallon of milk on his way home from work, but other than that,you made a plan and that was what you did. . .anyone else remember that? Now, we are spoiled and just run in and pick up this and that and usually end up getting a couple of other things that we really didn't need, or could wait to get, but "while we are in here . . ." I use to freeze onions, and I think you can actually freeze potatoes if you blanch them a little bit? I need to dig out my Farm Journal Canning and Freezing Book again and check out that stuff. One lady froze her cantelope left over from the garden with orange juice and let it thaw and serve it while it still had a few crystals in it. I always thought that sounded so good!! I need to get a new canning and freezing book as I know the one I have is at least 25 years old, and they have upgraded and updated alot since then! I love to can, and plan on making time for it this year.

Gay Renee

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
When I make tacos, I put leftover rice in them, adds more to it, a pound of burger will go further. I also add a can of refried beans to it. . .this is an old college dorm idea and we love it, don't like them any other way.

Gay Renee

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
To Patsandchickens, what about pork and noodles? I make a big batch of noodles and add whatever meat I have left and we love it. If you are lucky enough to have the broth the roasts cooked in, you have your base for the noodles too!! :D