1 onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon oil
1 bunch Swiss chard
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 piecrust (see below for no-roll crust recipe)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Brown onion and garlic in oil. Trim and chop chard (can include greens and stems), add to pan and cook down until wilted. Beat eggs and milk in bowl. Mix in salt and chard mixture. Pour into piecrust. Sprinkle cheese on top, pushing slightly into chard mixture. Bake until knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 30-40 min.

1 piece (including 1/8 of crust below): 367 calories,
13 grams protein, 5 grams fiber
Vitamin A 170% Vitamin C 42%
Calcium 24% Iron 23%

Whole-wheat, no-roll piecrust

1 cups flour (whole-wheat pastry flour best, whole-wheat flour okay)
1 tsp sugar
tsp salt
cup oil
3 tbsp milk

Place all ingredients in pie pan. Mix with fork until well blended and pat into the pan. Push pastry up the sides and form a nice edge with thumb and finger.

And a couple homemade desserts (I haven't tried them, but they were said to be excellent by BYC members):

Tutter's Best Angel Food Cake 15 White
egg whites, 15
sugar, 1 cups
flour, 1 cup
cream of tartar, 1 teaspoon
salt, teaspoon
vanilla, 1 teaspoon

Sift flour, salt, and 1 cup of sugar. Beat whites until done, then add vanilla and tartar and continue beating to stiff peaks. Add last of sugar, peaks should appear glossy. Fold powder mix into whites with rubber spatula. Put batter carefully into dry bundt pan, (No Oil) and add a 4 heavy duty foil collar. Bake in 350 degree oven for 50 minutes, approx. In Jet-Air oven, cook 28-30 minutes. The first 2-6 minutes on low, the rest on high.
Cool by turning the pan upside down on a bottle neck until cool. When 100% cool, remove from pan. Best eaten after 24 hours

Chocolate Mousse
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
6 eggs, more if small
pinch of cream of tartar*
1-2 Tbls cognac, optional, or strong coffee.

Melt the chocolate. Blend the eggs, cream of tartar, and cognac in a blender. With the motor running add the chocolate, using a rubber spatula to clean the sides. Pour into 6 demitasse cups, or other small serving dishes, and refrigerate 'till serving. Makes 6 servings.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
And I like your idea for the eggs! Perfect for good, quick breakfasts on school mornings.

Yep--I sure love that crust recipe. I never did learn how to roll a decent crust and was frustrated after about 12 years of trying. Then I found this recipe and have never looked back :) Works great for quiche or pies.

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is a great thread! You all are sure making me hungry :drool

:old When I was little, my parents were in the poultry business. They sold eggs and raised broilers. (Not like the chicken batteries of today).
I remember my mom and the hired help sitting at our kitchen table breaking eggs and separating them into big long tube bags. The bags were frozen and then sold to bakeries. :old

I don't know if it was on this forum or elsewhere, but someone was also talking about how they make homemade noodles when they have extra eggs. They dry them (as in dehydrate) and then store them long-term.

(edited by Cybercat to fix the old geezer smilie...heh heh heh...)

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ranchhand said:
About the extra eggs- someone from BYC just passed this on to me yesterday.

Her DH scrambles eggs one at a time a couple days a week- a flat scramble, like a crepe, almost- he folds them into quarters, freezes them individually and takes one out each morning. He grabs a biscuit, English muffin, bread, whatever there is, plops the egg into it and nukes it at work for his instant breakfast. He adds a slice of bacon or sausage occasionally.

I extended the thought because I really want my DH to have a warm breakfast on the cold days. (he works outside a lot) I already make sausage biscuits and freeze them, but I worry about too much fatty sausage- so it led to eggs, of which we have a few, perhaps vary it with a piece of bacon, or cheese, or the sausage. Great way to use some eggs, and I could even sneak a veggie or two in- roasted peppers, a slice of tomato, etc.

Instead of using all those little baggies, use one big freezer bag with wax paper between the layers. Just take a layer out every night for tomorrow's breakfast.
I make extra pancakes and freeze them, my son likes to make sandwiches with them. I add the egg, a slice of cheese and ham and put the sandwich in a baggie in the freezer. He takes one out in the am microwaves it for a minute and good to go.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
just got this recipe from BYC recently, Im making it tomorrow for a funeral at church on friday, Im adding lemon juice and a lemon glaze.

Old-Fashioned Pound Cake

Pan: 10" tube, well-greased and floured
Preheat oven: 325F
Baking time: 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours

4 c. cake flour, sifted before measuring (1#)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. unsalted butter (1#)
2 c. granulated sugar (1#)
10 whole eggs (1#)
1 tsp. vanilla extract } or use 2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract }

Sift flour and salt together. Place butter and sugar in mixing bowl. Cream together until light and fluffy. Add whole eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly between each addition. If using an electric mixer, do not stop the mixer while adding eggs. Add half of the sifted flour/salt. Beat about 1 minute. Add remaining flour/salt and the flavorings. Beat about 1 minute. Use a rubber spatula to collect all flour from sides of mixing bowl. Pour into a well-greased and floured tube cake pan. Bake. Remove from pan immediately after removing from oven. Cool on a cake rake.

Serving Note: Great with fruit or ice cream. This cake freezes well.

Note: Short on unsalted butter? Substitute butter flavored shortening