What do you all think?

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mother and I had that conversation about "no amount of money,.." yesterday. She was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and thankfully it was caught early and taken care of,..but she is getting some bills now and she was complaining about them. I told her,..its just money,..thank goodness they found it and it is been taken care of,...thank goodness we still have her with us. No amount of money would be worth losing a loved one.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Didn't mean to start anything about going to the doctor. The doc won't see him anyway with a bill due and no means of paying any of the past due ammount. I seriously have $5 :hu The chest compression thing sounds like it might help though. Thanks BBH :hugs

I'm sorry ya'll I am really NOT asking for opinions as to whether or not he should/would/can go to the doctor...it's just not feasible and the situation is, I simply neeeeed some home remedies. I feel bad enough about the whole deal, can we just not go there? Please. :)

Keep the ideas coming though!! Some of these I hadn't thought of and others, I might can swing, like the peppermint oil.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Didn't mean to start anything about going to the doctor. The doc won't see him anyway with a bill due and no means of paying any of the past due ammount. I seriously have $5 :hu The chest compression thing sounds like it might help though. Thanks BBH :hugs

I'm sorry ya'll I am really NOT asking for opinions as to whether or not he should/would/can go to the doctor...it's just not feasible and the situation is, I simply neeeeed some home remedies. I feel bad enough about the whole deal, can we just not go there? Please. :)

Keep the ideas coming though!! Some of these I hadn't thought of and others, I might can swing, like the peppermint oil.
Boil a pan of water, and add thyme and peppermint to it, and have him sit over that pan with a towel over his head.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Why oh why did I have to kill my peppermint plant :lol: I KNEW it would come in handy eventually :th

I have thyme, will definately try that when I get some peppermint oil, or can snatch a piece off a peppermint plant somewhere :D

Thanks BB :)

Gosh, this just makes me wonder what the heck I have been thinking...SUuuuuuuuuuuuuure I'm SS :rolleyes: Can't even cure DH of this cold...reeeeaaalllly SS. Time to rethink my medicine cabinet...er garden! :D We should make a list of medicinal must haves in the garden don't ya think?

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I agree with everything everyone else said but wanted to add - oregano oil is GREAT for infections. And lots of fresh garlic - nature's antibiotc!

I will occasionally steam myself if my chest is congested: pan of water brought to a near boil (good a steamy), then I turn it off, remove it from the stove add a couple drops of eucalyptus oil in it then hold my head over the pan/bowl with a towel draped over my head - long deep inhales. Not sure if steam is good for asthma or not, but it really helps tight chest congestion. Onion poultice on the chest is good. For that I sew three sides of a washcloth together - saute onions in a little olive oil (makes me hungry thinking about it!) then fill the cloth and hold the poultice on the chest.

Oh yeah, forgot - a nice hot bath with ginger is great for congestion too! And ginger tea. I like to sip echinaccea tea with a little tincture of eldeflower added - yummy!!!

Lets see, what else?......... Do you take vitamin C? I take several thousand mg when sick - several times a day. And vitamin D3? We like to keep that going regularly here as a preventative but can give you a boost if you're not already taking it.

Really, of all these things my biggest go to remedy of choice is the oregano oil. It really does work wonders! Hope he's feeling better soon.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Our7Wonders said:
I agree with everything everyone else said but wanted to add - oregano oil is GREAT for infections. And lots of fresh garlic - nature's antibiotc!

I will occasionally steam myself if my chest is congested: pan of water brought to a near boil (good a steamy), then I turn it off, remove it from the stove add a couple drops of eucalyptus oil in it then hold my head over the pan/bowl with a towel draped over my head - long deep inhales. Not sure if steam is good for asthma or not, but it really helps tight chest congestion. Onion poultice on the chest is good. For that I sew three sides of a washcloth together - saute onions in a little olive oil (makes me hungry thinking about it!) then fill the cloth and hold the poultice on the chest.

Oh yeah, forgot - a nice hot bath with ginger is great for congestion too! And ginger tea. I like to sip echinaccea tea with a little tincture of eldeflower added - yummy!!!

Lets see, what else?......... Do you take vitamin C? I take several thousand mg when sick - several times a day. And vitamin D3? We like to keep that going regularly here as a preventative but can give you a boost if you're not already taking it.

Really, of all these things my biggest go to remedy of choice is the oregano oil. It really does work wonders! Hope he's feeling better soon.
WOW!!! THANK YOU!!! :th

Ginger and garlic and onions and oregano I HAVE!!! :woot He "takes" a boatload of Vit. C every meal...AKA he eats a LOT of jalapenos :lol:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Oh yeah....when you are able to afford it, invest in the fermented cod liver oil. Each bottle lasts one person 6 months. Its incredible stuff in preventative and palliative care.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Oh yeah....when you are able to afford it, invest in the fermented cod liver oil. Each bottle lasts one person 6 months. Its incredible stuff in preventative and palliative care.
Patiently awaiting that day to come :lol:

sheaviance1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a pint jar left of dehydrated spearmint leaves that I would be glad to mail you if you want to PM me your address. I can pop them in tomorrow, you'll have them Monday. Just let me know.

My brother struggled with asthma for years when he was a youngster. The things that helped were the steaming, we used to run the shower and stick his head in the shower curtain when he was itty bitty because Mom didn't want to burn him with steam from the stove. Immediately after the steam treatment, she would take him outside in the cool night air. The night air seemed to calm his lungs everytime. I'm sure the pollen in the air right now is not helping matters. Can he take some honey? Mom used to give my brother a tablespoon of honey to clear his throat of pollen in the air. Honey, she reasoned, is so thick and sticky that it would wash the pollen down. However, initially after taking it, she would have him drink water because his throat was so irritated that the thickness of the honey would clog him up momentarily. Oh, last thing, boil a cup of water, squeeze the juice of a lemon in it, and have him drink it hot. Not really sure what that is supposed to exactly do, but I have a friend with severe asthma and she swears by it, well, really, any hot drink. I am guessing the heat helps break up mucous. Good luck, and let me know if you want me to send you the spearmint :D

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lobelia tincture is great! I haven't had a reason yet to use it on my husband or myself yet, but I have many friends who have used it themselves and on their children. I used it successfully for my bunny when he was so congested he could barely breath. 1 drop on the tip of a carrot and I kid not SECONDS later he breathed just fine.

Just be careful because it will cause you to throw up if you take too c=much, which in the cage of congestion isn't that bad of an idea, especially if it is seeping into the stomach or being swallowed at all.