What do you do to cut expenses down?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We got the first Spectrum bill since cutting cable. We're saving $130/month! That's a HUGE savings! We did have to buy some equipment to be able to bypass cable. But, all of that is a one time expense. Any service we add will be cheap: Netflicks, or Hulu will be the most likely choices. Hubby bought an antenna that enables us to pick up local channels. He spent all morning climbing up and down a ladder to install antenna on roof, and tweak it and fiddle with connections... only to find out that the reception is better with the antenna in the house. I changed to standard offer on our electricity service. That is resulting in an other $20/mo savings.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we spent a lot of $ to have some guy come out and put up an antenna on the chimney for t.v. affter many years and some issues it finally blew down last winter and i took it down and laid it on the ground along side of the house. it gets all but one channel now that it got before (one we don't even watch). d'oh!...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have an 18 y/o TV. And one of those black boxes the gov't gave out years ago, plus a little indoor antenna. some days I get channels, some days I don't. since I watch it seldom, it's ok if just one new channel works. LOL If I move the antenna and rescan, things change.

With the price of flat screens dropping monthly, one day I will buy one....nothing huge. They get decent reception on their own with the internal receptors.

I have satellite net. Mostly "ok". More speed would be nice but, then I'm slowing down also. It seems to work out. LOL Sometimes the newer Ipad is faster than the desk computer. Nope, not buying a bunch more...…..I just grumble and wait.

Just took a required economics/finance course on line. Aced that test. I suppose I know what I need to know and can still remember it for a couple hours. :old Guess I need to go to bed....early morning tomorrow, things to do.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Today, we went to the public library. Came back with a huge bag of books. My next plan: find a bunch of titles I'd like to read, and order them into the library. That way, I can get exactly what I want, not spend hours poring through the stacks, and my library trips will be much faster.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It has come to my attention that we have a lot of new members and it's been a long time since we had a thread about what we do to save money. Maybe the new folks would have a new way we hadn't thought about and maybe some of the oldsters wouldn't mind repeating their advice just one more time?

After that, maybe we could sticky it?
Besides recycling food, saving water will be second, we really have a large water bill, so saving water is the best thing to do.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a private well, so saving water is not that big of a deal for us - I still do though. It is habit from when I lived in town. I like to buy meat on sale - and usually the large packages are even cheaper. Break it down into usable sizes and freeze it or even better can it for use later.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So far I have only canned plain chicken in broth and the base for chicken stew (chicken, carrots, onions, seasonings). I am canning plain chicken tonight in fact. I love having it on the shelf for weeknight dinners. So easy to use in tacos, enchiladas, salads, sandwiches, and so much more.

Add a little BBQ sauce and put it on a bun- voila - pulled chicken sandwiches. Add onions, peppers, and taco seasoning - yummy chicken tacos. Add a can of cream of chicken soup, some salsa and shredded cheese to the taco mix- wrap in tortilla and cover in enchilada sauce/shredded cheese and bake - tada, chicken enchiladas.

My sister cans venison. Just plain meat with a touch of salt- no broth. She uses it for everything and it is so good! tender, tender, tender.