What do you do to cut expenses down?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My hubby wears Carhartt shirts. I have them on my Amazon wish list so I can watch for sales. Last time they were $12 each. Those are the only tees that have held up to him.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use Zout as it's an enzyme spot cleaner. It removes most stains if left set for half an hour before washing. I also have a bottle of Rit grease stain remover that is stronger.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, I don't think I even own clothes without holes in them now! Nothing last with me, and few things fit well! Last time I bought clothes was from the community relief (secondhand store) and I think the prices were pretty steep. But I did get a few long sleeve light knits which are soft and well worn so instantly comfortable. I've already ripped the skirts :/ Socks suck now too. Don't even get me started on bras. The best ones I have a near a decade old!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Socks? I have strange feet. I raid hubby's sock drawer b/c I can't stand the way women's socks fit my feet and ankles/calves. They actually fit pretty well through the foot. But, they often ride up on my foot, putting a lot of pressure on my Morton's toe. Then, to add insult to injury, they tend to twist around on my feet as I walk, so the heel ends up on top of my ankle. Not to mention, I wear them out like crazy! I can't stand the pink tax on women's clothing and foot wear. Should be illegal!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom had to call me and tell me all about the sale she hit at Joann Fabrics yesterday. She had resigned herself to paying the horrible price for a pattern but they were on sale for $1.99. The cotton flannel was also on sale for the same price. For $28 she got the patterns and enough fabric to make my 4 nieces nightgowns. Emma who's 7 will be helping her. She loves sewing. Mom has a huge amount of buttons she's saved off shirts and everything since she was a teen.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Biggest score in awhile was the chainsaw. We have an AMEX gold and we use it as often as we can. You are awarded points based on the amount you put on the card. We often use the points to purchase Christmas gift and I did so with several gifts this past Christmas. But, when we were looking for a chainsaw a week or so go we noticed the one we favored on Amazon. Amazon and AMEX must have a partnership of some kind because we were able to use AMEX points to cover the entire purchase amount of the chainsaw. ($400 +) That is a big budget stretcher!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some of my prettiest clothes were bought at a yard sale I found a few years ago. Every time I wear one of them, I get compliments. Not so the more modern crap.
As for socks, I found some I love on a website for cancer sufferers; they are made of bamboo, soft as silk, and they last really well. I don't like most socks because they are too tight around the ankle and cause swelling; but these stay up without binding. Some of them are 2 years old now, and still look as good as new. The only downside? They only come in black.
I also try to remember to mention that I'm a veteran- it saves me 5-10% at a LOT of places in our town. I also like to shop "geezer day" (my term) at the local Grocery Outlet. Once a month, they give seniors 10% off everything in the store, even if it's already on sale. The downside is that it's only 8-12noon, and lots of times I can't get in there. But my friend shops there and will pick stuff up for me if I remember to call her.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Socks? I have strange feet. I raid hubby's sock drawer b/c I can't stand the way women's socks fit my feet and ankles/calves. They actually fit pretty well through the foot. But, they often ride up on my foot, putting a lot of pressure on my Morton's toe. Then, to add insult to injury, they tend to twist around on my feet as I walk, so the heel ends up on top of my ankle. Not to mention, I wear them out like crazy! I can't stand the pink tax on women's clothing and foot wear. Should be illegal!

i have a sock today which keeps turning upside down. the other one doesn't. been having fun all day with it.