What do you stock inyour pantry, that others may find odd?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have about 10 gallons of wine in one gallon glass jugs and a 5 gallon carboy of applewine vinegar and one of the gallons ( they are not in my pantry tho. they live under the dining room table haha) is apple mulberry as I have 6 to 8 mulberry trees on my land and I'm allowed to harvest in the big field out back which also has mulberrys. They are black colored and white colored berries on different trees. the white ones are bigger and sweeter compared to the black colored ones. I mixed both with apple juice and fermented it with LV-118(I'd have to go find the labels of my yeast tho) and it turned out very well. Fermented fast and furious tho. and I added a touch of sugar as I didn't think it was quite sweet enuf and it made a strong wine. Very light red but darker than a rose.
I figure that the less berries that the birds eat the less bright purple poo splats on my car ;)

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Emerald said:
I have about 10 gallons of wine in one gallon glass jugs and a 5 gallon carboy of applewine vinegar and one of the gallons ( they are not in my pantry tho. they live under the dining room table haha) is apple mulberry as I have 6 to 8 mulberry trees on my land and I'm allowed to harvest in the big field out back which also has mulberrys. They are black colored and white colored berries on different trees. the white ones are bigger and sweeter compared to the black colored ones. I mixed both with apple juice and fermented it with LV-118(I'd have to go find the labels of my yeast tho) and it turned out very well. Fermented fast and furious tho. and I added a touch of sugar as I didn't think it was quite sweet enuf and it made a strong wine. Very light red but darker than a rose.
I figure that the less berries that the birds eat the less bright purple poo splats on my car ;)
I had been using plain bread yeast for a long time with much success but the 5 gallons I have going now are with red star "Premier Cuve'e" wine yeast. This stuff went crazy! When it started going full tilt I was afraid it might blow up! I use peaches from our trees, blackberries from our bushes and even make some from frozen concentrate because there is less involved with re-racking and clarifying...This fall when our pears are ready I'll be making a batch in a food grade 55gal drum...I also recently discovered that if I back sweeten and rack into 2 liter bottles I get carbonated wine...

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i am lucky- i live near the nauvoo winery. they sell everything you need to make wine, and i just go in and tell them what kind of wine and the amount and they get me the best yeast for the type i am making.

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Interesting reading on the wine. I wouldn't mind getting into making hard ciders at some point.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ThrottleJockey said:
Emerald said:
I had been using plain bread yeast for a long time with much success but the 5 gallons I have going now are with red star "Premier Cuve'e" wine yeast. This stuff went crazy! When it started going full tilt I was afraid it might blow up! I use peaches from our trees, blackberries from our bushes and even make some from frozen concentrate because there is less involved with re-racking and clarifying...This fall when our pears are ready I'll be making a batch in a food grade 55gal drum...I also recently discovered that if I back sweeten and rack into 2 liter bottles I get carbonated wine...
I have over a dozen of the swingcap type bottles that hold the carbonation in with out letting the bottles explode and I have made quite a few "fizzy wines" for me and the girls. I found if I buy old orchard 100% juice frozen concentrate and put about a tablespoon in each bottle and then top off with the apple wine it makes a very nice lightly sweet fruity fizzy wine cooler but they tend to have a bit more alcohol than wine coolers in the store. I didn't like the wine I made with bread yeast that much. but I am lucky to live a bit closer to a big city with two different places for home brewers and they have all kinds of wine yeasts and beer yeasts to pick from and they are quite cheap. I also found that I can only use about 1/4 of the packet for each gallon that I do and they seem to really work well too. that way I can get more gallons per one packet. I've made starter slurries with some of the yeast too for bigger batches. my favorite wine was the blue berry mead that I made a couple years ago. I have about two gallons left but it really does get better as it ages. It mellows and smooths right out.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
ThrottleJockey said:
You guys know sams club is actually more expensive than the other options right?
On some items, yes it is indeed. But I have compared pricing to our regular grocers and I can get a lot of things cheaper than normal sale pricing there. It depends on the item. I can get all my flour and baking goods there for a lot less. They also offer some items my local grocers don't carry. There are benefits to Sam's, but you do have to watch what you're buying...really just like anywhere else. :hu
That's the same way we use it- for certain things, and we watch the prices. Also, dont buy things you dont need just because they are in bulk or on sale hahaha For us, Sam's is the cheapest place to get tires, too.

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Emerald said:
ThrottleJockey said:
Emerald said:
I have over a dozen of the swingcap type bottles that hold the carbonation in with out letting the bottles explode and I have made quite a few "fizzy wines" for me and the girls. I found if I buy old orchard 100% juice frozen concentrate and put about a tablespoon in each bottle and then top off with the apple wine it makes a very nice lightly sweet fruity fizzy wine cooler but they tend to have a bit more alcohol than wine coolers in the store. I didn't like the wine I made with bread yeast that much. but I am lucky to live a bit closer to a big city with two different places for home brewers and they have all kinds of wine yeasts and beer yeasts to pick from and they are quite cheap. I also found that I can only use about 1/4 of the packet for each gallon that I do and they seem to really work well too. that way I can get more gallons per one packet. I've made starter slurries with some of the yeast too for bigger batches. my favorite wine was the blue berry mead that I made a couple years ago. I have about two gallons left but it really does get better as it ages. It mellows and smooths right out.
Yeah, the place I've been getting my jugs, airlocks, stoppers, campden, yeast, etc...told me that each packet should do about 5gal. however I would bet money it would do 100gal if I needed it to, just take a bit longer. Right now I'm still experimenting and only using 1gal jugs but very soon will be making larger 5gal batches in old water jugs (the big dispenser type).

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ThrottleJockey said:
Emerald said:
ThrottleJockey said:
Yeah, the place I've been getting my jugs, airlocks, stoppers, campden, yeast, etc...told me that each packet should do about 5gal. however I would bet money it would do 100gal if I needed it to, just take a bit longer. Right now I'm still experimenting and only using 1gal jugs but very soon will be making larger 5gal batches in old water jugs (the big dispenser type).
Just check the recycle number on some of the plastic water carboys some are not good for making any type of alcohol as it leaches stuff out of them but the only place I know of that I saw the list of numbers and those are okay and that is the Home brew forums that I am a member of. they listed them.. but amazon still has the big 2/3/4/5/6 gallon glass carboys. I found the best place to get honey was at our local brew shop.. it is sold by the lb and quite a bit cheaper than the store for local honey. But I do have a couple other places that I can get honey at too. and they put out hives near my house and I think that by eating that honey it really does help with some of my fall allergies.
I have had a couple of my one gallon wines ferment so hard that they blew out the air lock and made a huge mess in the kitchen. ! so now when I set one to brewing in the kitchen I have put it in a plastic bucket and put a big plastic baggy over the top of the air lock just in case. keeps the spewing foaming mess in one area!