What Do You Think Is Essential?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
alot of protein and veg

talking 6 months out about, I have alot of tuna, sardines, etc. canned. these have long expire dates which helps. we love it plus all our garden harvest we put up. we hunt and fish so fresh protein would hopefully still be available.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I prefer to have the basic ingredients to make things, rather than specialized products- Coconut oil can be used for cooking, but also makes a good base for medicinal ointments and if you add baking soda for instance it can be a deodorant as well. It also keeps virtually indefinitely.

Dry or cake yeast has a finite shelf life, but if you have a crock of sourdough going, you will always have yeast on hand.

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What do I feel is essential? What do you need to try to continue your day to day living?

A well stocked pantry of things you will use, is invalueable. Don't store it if you won't eat it. That is a simple rule that holds true. If you won't eat it every day, you won't want to eat it when things are bad.

A source of water, preferably clean, is key. If you have water available that is not clean, make sure you have a good filtration system.

Salt is another thing to have. We all use it, and our bodies need it. There is a reason that it was used for wages in times past.

Fats and oils are another thing that your body needs, and are used to make many things. Baked goods, a bit in the bottom of a frying pan, the list goes on and on. Even if your cooking oil supply started to go bad, I would think any oil would be better than none. If I remember right, that is one of the first things that gets rationed when things go south.

Basic hand tools. A shovel, a hammer, an axe, a large pry bar, a saw. Having tools helps get a job done quicker, and safer than it would be otherwise.

Lighting. Be it an oil lamp, a flash light, and the means to power, and light it. The switch on the wall will not always work. There are other options. It may not be what you are used to, but being prepared is priceless. Store some candles. They don't have the best light, but it is better than nothing. Make sure you have a way to light them, or any other light source.

Sturdy clothes, and shoes. If you ever have to walk any distance, a pair of flip flops most likely won't cut it. Same goes for clothing. Buy according to your area. In a warm climate, you will most likely need a heavy winter jacket. Don't worry about style. Who is going to care when it matters?

Any medications you may need. Some are life threatning if you don't have them.

I don't frequent this board as much as I could, or maybe should. I did see this thread, and these are the first things that popped into my mind. If this is of any value to anyone, and you are interested, I would happy to post more. I guess in the end, what is essential to me may not be to you. Thats ok. We are all different in our needs.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In the past, (and I do mean past) the wages of certain craftsmen were "corn, wine and oil". Salt was similarly precious. Moolie mentioned the "Mormons" and their approach. Apparently, this style of living is how she was raised so this is nothing new for her, but for many in this nation, the "luxuries" of life as we know it have been in such constant supply that many are completely unable to comprehend what items are required for living. I differentiate "survival" from living because in my mind, survival should be a "short term" proposition. Living should be a long term proposition and should indeed be where our attentions should be focused.

To say that one is a "Prepper" is probably not a good approach because at some point, the canned goods and the things that would otherwise have been available after some catastrophe might just NOT be there for a very long time if for some reason the "lights go out". To that end, it is important to understand what is required for living rather than just basic "survival" in terms of not only eating but maintaining one's health. Sustaining life on into the future should be our constant interest.

In order to consider the term "essential" it is important to understand some basic facts. The human body, in order to be healthy requires nutrients in three main classifications, Protein, Fat and Carbohydrate. These then are divided by percentages; fat=25%; Protein 20% and the rest carbohydrate. Understanding the way this works allows one to have a better working knowledge of what is truly essential.

As I drive around my area of the country, I notice that on occasion, there are houses that have been abandoned in the strangest places. These no doubt were abandoned because they had no water. Without water there is no life. You can't survive or live without water so to start any list of "essentials" water is at the top of the list when talking about the function of the human body.

However, there are other essentials that no one has mentioned so far. At the top of any list of essential is SECURITY. If your situation is NOT secure, how long will you last? All the food in the world won't do you much good if you aren't safe. How you provide security will be up to you, but rest assured, it is at the top of the list because all else with respect to staying alive depends on "staying alive".

Secondly, in the list of essentials is "shelter". Yes, we can all make a lean-to with an old pancho like we did in the jungle, but now we have more complicated lives which includes those who depend on us for "THEIR" survival/living. In keeping with the concept of shelter, we have to add environmental security, i.e. heat. How do we protect our selves and our family from the cold. Not taking care of that will eliminate any further efforts (at least where I live) because cold respects no one. You either beat it or you die. You don't need to worry about Zombies or "foreign troops" or any of that because "Mother Nature" will gladly claim the unprepared. If the lights go out, do you think light or heat would be more important? That of course is a "no brainer" but it requires forethought to be fore-armed.

Once you have security and shelter, water is next. Having water that is NOT safe is the same as not having water. You must know how to make water safe and in so doing must be able to know how much water the human body needs each day to "live/survive". The text books tell us that a minimum of 2500 ml. of water a day is mandatory to stay alive. Even though we can measure how much we lose in terms of urine volume and stool volume, the "insensible losses" are still quite real and often ignored when calculating the "essentials".

Now, after all that, we can finally start debating the details of what we "like to eat" as opposed to what we need to live. We think in terms of "palate boredom" and worry about whether or not we will tire of eating the same things day after day. C'mon now, let's get real. We have lived with so much for so long that none of us even has the slightest idea of what it is like to be without the basics of human need in our entire lives.

The posts above mention a number of issues but none off them puts more than one concept together. Suppose you have to calculate essentials while you are "traveling"? Now, you have a challenge. How long will you have to travel and what will you take with you? How will you travel and what will you think is "essential" then? Will you be traveling with others? What will they want to carry as "essential"?

If we confine ourselves to the issue of feeding our body, we can look at the words of a Carpenter who lived 2000 years ago who said "Give us this day our daily bread". Do you think that was merely a guess? Why did HE pick that particular term? Others to this day still recite, "...who gives us this day, bread from the earth." This my friends, defines essential in its most basic terms.

Once we have what is truly "essential" we are able to move into the realm of the "Nice to have" such as the listing noted in the posts above.

I have written numerous posts on what is going to be important "when the lights go out" and hope that those posts are not lost, although they may be for reasons that are difficult to explain. Be that as it may, we have to say that there are at least four things that will keep us alive for an extended period of time, should the need arise (and I do believe it will arise).
1. Wheat. Whether you like it or not, wheat has many uses, the most important of which is the ability to make bread, to be eaten as sprouts and to be squeezed for the "nectar" that can be derived therefrom. Wheat stores "indefinitely" as long as it is kept dry and reasonably cool.
2. Honey which is also able to be stored indefinitely if not allowed to be damaged by environmental issues. Or one can substitute sugar.
3. Salt. *mentioned above.
4. Non-fat dry milk. (unless you have a cow and grass for her to eat.)

Many people argue that beans get too hard during long term storage, but so what? They are important. Even if you don't feel like cooking them, they will sprout and give you fresh greens (fiber) which is essential to good health.

While I could go on, citing numerous items as essential, depending on what specific essential to which one refers, I think it is important to realize that this particular topic needs to be carefully detailed and divided into the categories of essential so that it does not get lost in details that can not be quantified.

To that end, I will stop here and wait for some feedback as to whether or not we should proceed and in what direction we want to take this discussion as it is a VERY complex one.

I hope I haven't bored you with my approach but when someone says "essential" it is difficult to know what the definition of ESSENTIAL really is to all of us.

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In order to consider the term "essential" it is important to understand some basic facts. The human body, in order to be healthy requires nutrients in three main classifications, Protein, Fat and Carbohydrate. These then are divided by percentages; fat=25%; Protein 20% and the rest carbohydrate. Understanding the way this works allows one to have a better working knowledge of what is truly essential.

----------------
if you consider this 'fact' then my low carb eating wouldn't appeal to you :) Old "facts" with bad results for your nutrition. I wouldn't eat like this for anything. (tons of good info on the net about how higher grain carbs and nutritonally useless carbs are eaten in huge quantites. this is our diet nightmare)--but I am not going to debate this. Info is out there for anyone willing to just read. processed junk sugar, don't get me started.

Hardtack has a proven record in survival, especially travel, but using wheat as a staple is something I would never do.

Processed sugar is not essential. natrual sugars can be found in natural foods everywhere along with salt. Salt is essential to every single living organism and is found in abundance in natural foods. Salt is packed in green leafy veg and can be taken from saltwater sources, carrots and cantaloupe are high sodium foods along with animal blood. but if we are talking long term, your food source that you can find will be what is important, not the condiments you can pack in your pantry (if we are talking bugging out etc)
Milk is not essential. Owning a cow for milk is not essential. Cheese is not essential. protein, veg and fruits are essential.

The original post asked about 6 months out to help in a disaster situation. Anyone on this board can do 6 months I would think :) our pantries, if they survived, could handle that with our type of SS people here stocking.

If we are talking long term everyone best know how to hunt and prepare 'real live food'. Real food is basic. You aren't going to be processing anything mostly. Protein and plant material are the 2 main foods. When you are stationary and basing it on staying put, wheat barrels are fine for some along with tons of 'store bought' foods stacked in a room. transporting all that stored food is a huge problem if ya gotta hit the road.

Essential in long term is to put something nutritious in your mouth on a daily basis to survive. Period.

This can go from 'what do you think is essential for '6 months' out in your family---to how to survive longer term, to total disaster and you are doing survival the rest of your life, as long as you can live.

In real life it takes skills to survive on your own. Without skills and knowledge of the old ways to get by without help, that person isn't going to make it anyway :) Those lacking best team up with others and get their survival in a community situation.

WATER is actually the number one priority in any disaster situation. You won't live many days without it. It beats security and shelter big time. You have water you live to get the security and shelter into place. In survival mode water is key. In 'prepping mode' security and shelter is key, then you address your water situation cause you have time to prepare, stock, learn etc.

Thing with survival pantries and how to survive in the wild long term, etc. are widely varied scenarios on the time, location, situation, disaster etc.

Anyone wants to know real survival in this world, hit the internet and learn skills.
Prepper info is all out there to learn how to survive many disasters, long term and short.

Thing is when it all hits the fan, how one prepares will be tested :) then everyone will know how they faired. Talking 'what if' is great. we learn, prepare but don't actually live it. 'living it' is the true test.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
I stick by this statement. It comes from the basic scientific truths of human physiology, not the "new facts gleaned from the geniuses on the internet who have more time on their hands than education in their heads. There is a distinct difference between facts and truth. Knowing that alone puts one way ahead of the pack.

FarmerChick said:
if you consider this 'fact' then my low carb eating wouldn't appeal to you :)
That depends on what you are using for your carbohydrate load. Considering the obesity epidemic in this country, one would be wise to choose forms of carbohydrate that is easily metabolized and used by the body. Given the "fact" that anything processed in some can or container has been changed so much that the basic nutritional components are nearly indistinguishable, one can make any assertion about the source of one's diet. Then again, a Big Mac, order of fries and a milkshake contains nearly 4000 calories. A great diet which when the lights go out, will NOT be available readily as it is now. The Zombies will be wanting YOU to cook for them when that happens.

FarmerChick said:
Old "facts" with bad results for your nutrition.
Unfortunately, this sentence reminds me of a recent quote by Mrs. N. Pelosi. She asked a woman physicist why certain facts that the physicist had testified were that way and the physicist replied "Well, those are the laws of physics", to which Mrs. Pelosi replied "well, what do we have to do to get THOSE changed?" It seems to me that a little education can be nearly as dangerous as none at all. Some "old facts" as you put it are just plain truths. You can argue till you are blue in the face and cite all the absolutely reliable "internet" information (by the way I'm a French model...you know the one you met on the internet...BonJOUR) If you are going to depend on the "internet" for your "facts" you may come away from it with just a bit of disappointment. Probably ought to seek out some reliable text books and science on the subject before giving advice.

FarmerChick said:
I wouldn't eat like this for anything. (tons of good info on the net about how higher grain carbs and nutritonally useless carbs are eaten in huge quantites. this is our diet nightmare)--but I am not going to debate this. Info is out there for anyone willing to just read. processed junk sugar, don't get me started.
No one expects you to eat something you don't want to eat. Unfortunately, what is available for consumption in times when little or nothing is being transported may be somewhat limited. Calories are calories. You only need about 25 Kcal/Kg. of body weight to maintain your body weight. Folks with all kinds of "new facts" seem to overlook this basic truth about human metabolism. Eating low carbohydrate diets are fine for losing weight and avoiding diabetes, but the body still needs a percentage of this basic food component, regardless of where you get it. If one is smart, one picks the right sources...to that we can certainly agree.

FarmerChick said:
Hardtack has a proven record in survival, especially travel, but using wheat as a staple is something I would never do.
Simple hardtack recipe

You can make hardtack almost identical to what sailors, troops, and pioneers have been eating (minus the weevils!) by following this simple recipe:

4-5 cups of flour (but of course, you wouldn't use wheat...perhaps saw dust would taste better, huh?

2 cups of water

3 tsp. of salt

Seems that wheat might be more important than you seem to think. You know, I DON"T make this stuff up.

FarmerChick said:
protein, veg and fruits are essential.[
And they are all readily available when the snow is on the ground and it is -25*F too! A really good approach to that problem might be to find some other way to store necessary nutrients during the winter. Not everyone lives in the "eternal sunshine" such as found in the tropics.

FarmerChick said:
Essential in long term is to put something nutritious in your mouth on a daily basis to survive. Period.
Well now, that is truly a statement on which we can all rely. What we are talking about here is how to obtain and provide those "something nutritious" items.

FarmerChick said:
WATER is actually the number one priority in any disaster situation. You won't live many days without it. It beats security and shelter big time. You have water you live to get the security and shelter into place. In survival mode water is key. In 'prepping mode' security and shelter is key, then you address your water situation cause you have time to prepare, stock, learn etc.
Obviously, you have been exposed to the hazards of violence/war and know this to be absolutely true. Many of us may have a different perspective on the subject of security and shelter. It is important to "stay alive" if you want to stay alive. All the water inn the ocean won't stop the cold from crystalizing your blood at -25*F. Stick with the basics here. We agree that water is essential for life but life is essential to need/use water. I rarely see dead people drink much.

FarmerChick said:
Anyone wants to know real survival in this world, hit the internet and learn skills.
Prepper info is all out there to learn how to survive many disasters, long term and short.
OK, that is great advice. Now tell them how to start a fire. Reading an article on the internet does NOT serve to replace the motor skills for doing the things required to live. But then the computer will work fine and the internet will be available to everyone when the lights are out and then you can just look up whatever you want. I like that approach.

FarmerChick said:
Thing is when it all hits the fan, how one prepares will be tested :) then everyone will know how they faired. Talking 'what if' is great. we learn, prepare but don't actually live it. 'living it' is the true test.
Seems that this is what I said in the sentence above. One of my favorite movies is "Cast Away". I am particularly fond of the scene where our hero decides he needs fire and goes about bloodying his hands to finally achieve a fire. Perhaps that might have been mitigated by a little practice prior to getting into that dilemma. For what it is worth, I'd recommend practicing a few of those basic "survival" skills now and let the internet alone. It won't be there when you need it. Learn which plants are edible NOW, and learn how to prepare them...because the internet won't be there when you need it. Learn how to purify water NOW...and do it. A little diarrhea now is easily resolved, but won't be when the "lights go out".

There are some time tested and proven sources of information in the world currently. The SAS Survival Manual, The US Army Survival manual (FM-21-76), and a host of books on edible plants, etc. If you know how to use the skills contained in these, your chances of doing well either "sheltering in place" or "on the road" will be significantly enhanced. (not that I have ever had to use any of these skills...recently)

But then "Brutus IS an honorable man"
YMMV
Trim sends
//BT//

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Anyone who wants to test their "survival skills" should head out into the wilderness for a while and see how they get on with what they've chosen to carry on their backs and what you find along the way. The internet can't really teach you anything, especially if you don't ever put what you think you've learned into regular practice.

But nothing can truly prepare anyone for a situation they've never faced before. For example: parenthood. No one is ever truly ready for that no matter what they believe beforehand. Same is true for everything.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
Icu4dzs said:
I stick by this statement. It comes from the basic scientific truths of human physiology, not the "new facts gleaned from the geniuses on the internet who have more time on their hands than education in their heads. There is a distinct difference between facts and truth. Knowing that alone puts one way ahead of the pack.

FarmerChick said:
if you consider this 'fact' then my low carb eating wouldn't appeal to you :)
That depends on what you are using for your carbohydrate load. The human body does not require carbohydrates to survive. That is a plain fact. No one 'needs' a carb load ever. A person can live on nearly 10 net carbs per day for life and never have a problem. The body has a back up system with ketosis. Carbs for glucose are not necessary. Considering the obesity epidemic in this country, one would be wise to choose forms of carbohydrate that is easily metabolized and used by the body. Given the "fact" that anything processed in some can or container has been changed so much that the basic nutritional components are nearly indistinguishable, one can make any assertion about the source of one's diet. Then again, a Big Mac, order of fries and a milkshake contains nearly 4000 calories. A great diet which when the lights go out, will NOT be available readily as it is now. The Zombies will be wanting YOU to cook for them when that happens.

FarmerChick said:
Old "facts" with bad results for your nutrition.
Unfortunately, this sentence reminds me of a recent quote by Mrs. N. Pelosi. She asked a woman physicist why certain facts that the physicist had testified were that way and the physicist replied "Well, those are the laws of physics", to which Mrs. Pelosi replied "well, what do we have to do to get THOSE changed?" It seems to me that a little education can be nearly as dangerous as none at all. Some "old facts" as you put it are just plain truths. Plain truths have been found incorrect over and over the centuries :) believe me our dietary info out there is horrendous. How many truths have been expelled and new data obtained? Well, I will just say ALOT :)You can argue till you are blue in the face and cite all the absolutely reliable "internet" information (by the way I'm a French model...you know the one you met on the internet...BonJOUR) If you are going to depend on the "internet" for your "facts" you may come away from it with just a bit of disappointment. Probably ought to seek out some reliable text books and science on the subject before giving advice. ragging the internet for resources gets old. I found the SAS Survival manual on the internet. Does that mean it is useless information made by some dumb chump thinking they are experts? Probably. The correct use of the internet holds tons of value obviously. If your 'only and best' facts are found on the internet, does that make them totally useless? Seems to me it would be that way if you are recommending books that are on the internet.

FarmerChick said:
I wouldn't eat like this for anything. (tons of good info on the net about how higher grain carbs and nutritonally useless carbs are eaten in huge quantites. this is our diet nightmare)--but I am not going to debate this. Info is out there for anyone willing to just read. processed junk sugar, don't get me started.
No one expects you to eat something you don't want to eat. Unfortunately, what is available for consumption in times when little or nothing is being transported may be somewhat limited. Calories are calories. agree calories are calories, but the sources of those calories you eat are what makes the difference. the source of food. You only need about 25 Kcal/Kg. of body weight to maintain your body weight. Folks with all kinds of "new facts" seem to overlook this basic truth about human metabolism. Eating low carbohydrate diets are fine for losing weight and avoiding diabetes, but the body still needs a percentage of this basic food component, regardless of where you get it. that is incorrect. one does not need carbs to survive. of course smaller nets of carbs in veggies etc. are going to happen, but a 'carb load' is not required. If one is smart, one picks the right sources...to that we can certainly agree.

FarmerChick said:
Simple hardtack recipe

You can make hardtack almost identical to what sailors, troops, and pioneers have been eating (minus the weevils!) by following this simple recipe:

4-5 cups of flour (but of course, you wouldn't use wheat...perhaps saw dust would taste better, huh?

2 cups of water

3 tsp. of salt

Seems that wheat might be more important than you seem to think. You know, I DON"T make this stuff up. you don't have to make it up, you copied it off the internet. I have seen this also. here is more: Prior to the early 20th century, there were no laws governing tampering with food products; storekeepers on the frontier quickly discovered that it was profitable to "stretch" their inventories. It was not uncommon for a pound of flour purchased in a general store to be half plaster. Cornmeal was "plumped" with sawdust. Coffee might contain dyed navy beans, dry-roasted peas, or even small pebbles.

wheat doesn't enter into my menus ever :) wheat is one the unhealthiest foods causing millions digestion problems. hardtack got many thru hard times when ANY food was required just to get thru the situation. like pioneer travel but times have changed. hardtack wasn't needed as a food source, it was a convenient food source to carry and not perishable. It made survival and progress of a country continue. Unless the situation is so dire, the least of our problems will be worrying about carry hardtack to survive. if it comes to that in this day and age it will be over before we know it.

FarmerChick said:
protein, veg and fruits are essential.[
And they are all readily available when the snow is on the ground and it is -25*F too! A really good approach to that problem might be to find some other way to store necessary nutrients during the winter. Not everyone lives in the "eternal sunshine" such as found in the tropics. many survival in harsh climates. all the above can be prepped like with any foods for long term winter survival. Winter survival is just another situation one can adapt.

FarmerChick said:
Well now, that is truly a statement on which we can all rely. What we are talking about here is how to obtain and provide those "something nutritious" items.

FarmerChick said:
Obviously, you have been exposed to the hazards of violence/war and know this to be absolutely true. Many of us may have a different perspective on the subject of security and shelter. It is important to "stay alive" if you want to stay alive. All the water inn the ocean won't stop the cold from crystalizing your blood at -25*F. Stick with the basics here. We agree that water is essential for life but life is essential to need/use water. I rarely see dead people drink much. depends on the situation I agree. if we are talking doomsday prep, security/shelter are biggies. if we are talking 6 months survival for small natural disaster, while sec/shelter is important obviously, your basic need of water is a first for survival to put the others into better place.

FarmerChick said:
OK, that is great advice. Now tell them how to start a fire. Reading an article on the internet does NOT serve to replace the motor skills for doing the things required to live. But then the computer will work fine and the internet will be available to everyone when the lights are out and then you can just look up whatever you want. I like that approach. it isn't about just reading, it is about doing. we all know that. info and research etc. before the disaster obviously. prepper types are doers, not just readers :)

FarmerChick said:
Seems that this is what I said in the sentence above. One of my favorite movies is "Cast Away". I am particularly fond of the scene where our hero decides he needs fire and goes about bloodying his hands to finally achieve a fire. Perhaps that might have been mitigated by a little practice prior to getting into that dilemma. For what it is worth, I'd recommend practicing a few of those basic "survival" skills now and let the internet alone. It won't be there when you need it. Learn which plants are edible NOW, and learn how to prepare them...because the internet won't be there when you need it. Learn how to purify water NOW...and do it. A little diarrhea now is easily resolved, but won't be when the "lights go out".

There are some time tested and proven sources of information in the world currently. The SAS Survival Manual, The US Army Survival manual (FM-21-76), and a host of books on edible plants, etc. If you know how to use the skills contained in these, your chances of doing well either "sheltering in place" or "on the road" will be significantly enhanced. (not that I have ever had to use any of these skills...recently)

With all of this, if a 6 month survival is what a person wants, than plan out for it. If one is thinking doomsday then go all in with your life prepping for survival. The person decides the plan. Let them all have at it :)

But then "Brutus IS an honorable man"
YMMV
Trim sends
//BT//

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As I have read what has been posted thus far, it does bring a few questions to mind. What are you preparing for? Are you going to bug out, so to speak, or stay where you are. That can change the scope of what is essential, in my mind. Everyone is different. There have been some good things posted, and what works for one, may not work for another.

If you are going to stay where you are, you would have a different list of essentials than if you were going to try to carry it all out on your back. Things are different for each individual.

Possibly, if the original poster gave us a bit more info as to what they were trying to do, we could give advice that may fit in. I plan on staying at home if at all possible. If there is no power, etc. we are striving for back up plans. What is "essential" all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Having the right tools to do that is essential. It will be different for everyone.