What do you WANT to learn to do?

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have salted hides in the past, didn't get a chance to do anything with them- dogs found them and tore them appart. Would like to soft tan them and make teddy bears out of them. I did that once, I got a real fur coat at a yard sale for .50 it was coming apart in a couple of seams. It was soooo cute. Sold it at a flea market for $35.00 was told later that was half what I should have sold it for. Would like to make one for each of my kids to pass on to their kids.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
doubleatraining said:
I would love to learn to keep bees!
:welcome

Bees are one of those things I am still on the fence about. I love honey though!! :drool

doubleatraining

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome.

I don't think I currently have enough room but would love to keep them when I have a place big enough. My sister's neighbor keeps them for a living so I am sure I can get her help. :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
doubleatraining said:
Thanks for the welcome.

I don't think I currently have enough room but would love to keep them when I have a place big enough. My sister's neighbor keeps them for a living so I am sure I can get her help. :D
I think that is why I am so hesitant. I don't know anyone close enough to me to may sure I don't mess things up :lol: I hope you get them soon! I think they'd be great. we had a swarm on our front porch 3 years ago, and I wish a thousand times now I had captured them. That got me interested in bees though :) They are so very cool!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I talked to my hubbys uncle at dadants and he told me he can get me everything I need for about 1/2 price. And I can order bees from them also. Behind our house is a heavy wooded gully and then we own @40 ft into a clover alfalfa field. I think I would put them there. ...............................off to convince my husband we need bees!

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'll have a go... I'd like to learn to:

Make my own detergent, soap, etc.

Make and use herbal/homemade remedies

Grow stuff. I just can't get the hang of growing anything more than beans unless it's an animal. For some reason I'm great with those

Process chickens

Bee keeping

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Gypsi said:
when you are ready, visit www.beesource.com. Good people, good info. But remember beekeepers never agree on anything!
Or Beemasters.com...where they agree on many things and they agree on every person deciding for themselves what technique to use. ;)

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beesource isn't that argumentative, like any other place, as long as topics aren't political. Not a good place to talk about gmo's vs organics though.. Stuff like that creates real firestorms.

They do really push you to make contact with local people and have someone with some experience look at your bees, since climate makes so much difference, and describing bee stuff via text is difficult. After I got all the way robbed out I joined a local bee group, because it is way too hard doing it totally solo. And a group order for stuff brings prices and shipping down. But I still enjoy beesource.

Gypsi