What ever happened to Community

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ever notice that there is really no sense of community anymore? Ever notice that when trouble lands on your doorstep you are left with this shameful sense of being completely alone in dealing with it. Ever notice how much more quickly critisism is incorporated nto your trouble instead of sympathy or concern, or help?
A few years ago some aquaintances of mine lst thier 6 week old baby in a fourwheeling accident. They were criticised to high heaven for having that baby on a four wheeler in the first place, but what no one understood was the culture behind it with this family. Every weekend this family went out on Sunday to the parents for dinner and the whole family arrived from variuos destinations on fourwheelers. It was second nature to them. They were charged with manslaughter, everyone for miles had nothing good to say about them, and they lost a baby as well. You think that wasn't punishment enough for these people??? Like they meant to kill the child, I don't think so. I can't imagine how alone they must have felt foing through all that.
Last week a woman and her husband sunk their snowmachine in an open part of the lake. The woman got pulled out but the husband died. She is being charged with manslaughter. It was late at night and they had alcohol in thier system. She was driving. Oh lets jump on the fact that they were drinkers...nope, usually these people didn't drink. Why they were drinking that day, I don't know...but that is going to be the big issue...crazy. And the whole community is going to jump on the critical bandwagon. I can't imagine how alone she must feel today

You know years and years ago, families all lived in on parcels of land close by each other and they knew other families that did the same. The church was the center of the community and people encouraged each other along. When tragedy struck you weren't left alone to deal with it, you were surrounded by loved ones to help you through. Charges weren't the first thing in the picture and accusations didn't fly before you had a chance to be heard. You were loved.
It is such a shame that things have deteriorated to the point they have now.
Just venting....

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree with that 100 percent. Community is barely anywhere these days.

Replaced by almost recluses and people who are nosey just forr the sake of satisfying their curiosity, not out of any sense of community or concern.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
People that stick their noses in where they have no business are the worst.... :ep

The wife and I know most all of our neighbors and we check in on them from time to time, SPECIALLY when we have bad weather or we haven't seen them for awhile. A simple phone call or a wave over the fence is enough to know everything is OK.....

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The concept of community disappeared the same time as we lost the concept of family. Out whole society is trained to "compete" rather than work together for a common goal from the time we are children, when we enter the school system, and on most TV shows. It really is a matter of conditioning overall.

"What's in it for me?" has become our societies slogan. Rather than; "How can we do this together?"

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
We were in a small community where everyone used to know everyone. The change began with the small police department.
A policy change brought in officers from other communities with no vested interest, didn't know anyone and simply went by the book. For example, instead of talking to the family about a problem, a child went straight to the county jv detention center. The community aspect was eliminated.

Suddenly there were 10 churches that served the same number of citizens that 2 handled. I've seen members get angry over something and switch to another church rather than talk to solve the differences. The churches actively compete for members, not adding to cohesiveness.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is something that has bothered me for years. Well...since DH retired from the AF. When we were active duty....living on base..we had that sence of community. Its a different life. People are willing to lend a hand...a dollar...or a cup of sugar, without wanting anything in return. We all looked out for each other, and each others kids. Once we retired it was nothing short of a culture shock! No one cares for the neighbor, they would rather turn thier heads when they see a woman or child being mistreated, and turn up thier music/TV if they hear cries for help. Its a sad world we are living in.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree in general there is no community. Going global and families moving far away to distant states and lands has broken up the close knit families that rely on each other also.

But lucky here cause our little community is not like that. We have that community spirit and do help all people as a whole here. I like the small towns. They are trying to stay as a community...at least here.

Instead of moaning about lack of community most of us should involve ourselves in our community. One way to fight back the times I guess. (I mean people in general)

While I hear so many say there is lack of community, so many don't get off their duffs and do anything about it. (just a general comment again)

All things go in cycles and getting back to basics and just basic good community values are surfacing again....thank goodness..LOL