What ever happened to Community

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
DD has to take parenting classes from social workers because apperently moms aren't able to teach thier children how to mother anymore.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Morel, are you kidding me??????????? She has to take classes from CPS before the baby is born???? what happens if she didn't take the classes???? do they come to the hospital and take the baby before she even gets the chance to be a mom????????? and she should be happy to see a MOTHER supporting her daughter on her journey to becoming a mother herself! :barnie

There really isn't much sense of community where we live. Mostly just nosiness...and gossiping. I hate the area I live in, but I can't help love it at the same time because we own our own little patch of heaven! The feeling of community isn't here because it's more of people moving down from the big cities and they think "I own an acre" means "I own as far as I can see".

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I did ask that question and was simply told that they don't take babies from those who take the 'voluntary' CPS program:>) that makes it not so voluntary doesn't it?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Normally I simply don't post much here anymore because it's too hard not to say what I feel when it's so different from lthe most active posters. And the reaction to any difference is so extreme.
First about the baby- I don't know all the circumstances but I seriously doubt that the baby was killed by the slow, careful use of an ATV. The people were probably not creeping along and refusing to do any of the travel that might endanger the baby. If something like a tree fell over suddenly or the ground fell out from under them without warning, they probably would have not been charged. And wait til the sentencing to see what justice there really is. But no, losing their baby may not be enough - they might just think it was a misfortune not of their creation unless it's pointed out to them firmly. On the surface of the brief comment, I can't say that the results showed a good understanding................
same with the drunk snowmobiler.

If this were the good old days of "community" (which was usually family anyway) people who have said more than a little to and about these parents. The community could be very rough on people it didn't approve. I could and did even go so far as the "permanently remove" those it didn't like.

I too was raised in a "community" of the military. And it was not all warm and snuggly like people seem to want. If you ran into difficulty because of the loss of a spouse in a service related action or needed help that you could not expect off the economy (outsiders) you usually got some help. But judgement ran deep and heavy if you did not live up to the standards of the service- heaven help you if you objected out loud to anything the millitary did- boy, could they make people pay. And a whole lot of normal human problems were thoughly ignored- for the "good of the service..........." You had better fit in.

I agree that the dispersing of family is the reall "loss of community"- family is what can be relied on- you are lucky if you have good neighbors or friends- but having watched my Mom lose her friends when she had a head injury that make her somewhat difficult to be around, family is what lasts.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Enjoy, the family with the ATV incident did make out well in the end, what happened was that they had come around a corner and ended up on a very slippery rock and there had been a washout the day before from heavy rain that caused a deep rut in the trail. Combining both the wet rock and the rut, they lost control of the vehicle. The charges were dropped in the end, I was simply using this as an example of how community can be so harsh to judge and judgement seems to come before proof of anything...but on the other hand I do very much agree with you about the safe handling of these vehicles and how some would not consider it. You are so right in that respect.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
But lucky here cause our little community is not like that. We have that community spirit and do help all people as a whole here. I like the small towns. They are trying to stay as a community...at least here.
We are part of a great small town that we have nicknamed Mayberry. :)

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
The feeling of community isn't here because it's more of people moving down from the big cities and they think "I own an acre" means "I own as far as I can see".
LMAO! Boy, isn't that the truth?!!!

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
no one now days seems to do anything out of kindness or the desire to help out. It is all about what is in it for me? how will it benefit me? Anymore if some one comes to you and wants to help out, you have to always wonder what do they want. Instead of thinking boy that is nice.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
nightshade said:
no one now days seems to do anything out of kindness or the desire to help out. It is all about what is in it for me? how will it benefit me? Anymore if some one comes to you and wants to help out, you have to always wonder what do they want. Instead of thinking boy that is nice.
Or if they get injured, even slightly on your property will they sue you?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
nightshade said:
This is so true, and I know someone just like that. Her idea of helping someone out is, "You know me, I'll help anyone if it helps me." So sad.