What ever happened to Community

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We have a very good relationship with our closest neighbors, we all seem to live under the idea of "what goes around comes around" and it has proven to be true in the last five years since we've lived here.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
nightshade said:
no one now days seems to do anything out of kindness or the desire to help out. It is all about what is in it for me? how will it benefit me? Anymore if some one comes to you and wants to help out, you have to always wonder what do they want. Instead of thinking boy that is nice.
This is so true, and I know someone just like that. Her idea of helping someone out is, "You know me, I'll help anyone if it helps me." So sad.
I do know exactly what you mean here, and it is so true! Even I have been guilty of jokingly saying something about 'doing a certain thing for sefish motives' but in my heart it isn't really like that...it just seems that ppl think there is something wrong with you mentally if you are willing to be helpful for the sake of simply being helpful. It seems that when you do, you are often under suspicion

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sylvie said:
nightshade said:
no one now days seems to do anything out of kindness or the desire to help out. It is all about what is in it for me? how will it benefit me? Anymore if some one comes to you and wants to help out, you have to always wonder what do they want. Instead of thinking boy that is nice.
Or if they get injured, even slightly on your property will they sue you?
yea, what ever happen to you got hurt doing something you chose to do so frankly it is your own fault? It amazes me every time my little guy who is in kindergarten comes home and says oh we can't do this or that because we may get hurt. They can not even play tag or football because someones kid may get hurt and they may sue.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hoosier said:
FarmerChick said:
But lucky here cause our little community is not like that. We have that community spirit and do help all people as a whole here. I like the small towns. They are trying to stay as a community...at least here.
We are part of a great small town that we have nicknamed Mayberry. :)
We are one of the lucky ones definitely! A good small town is hard to beat! :)

Mayberry----LOL---you have me thinking about Andy Griffith now! LOL

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
nightshade said:
On the other hand, not letting people in, not allowing them to give a helping hand is another way of creating isolation.

The greatest gift you can give someone is the opportunity to help.

But as far as CP and social workers go...it that were happening to me I'd be looking for a new place to live dam right quick. They are the eyes and hands of big brother and they love to take children away from parents.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Mackay said:
But as far as CP and social workers go...it that were happening to me I'd be looking for a new place to live dam right quick. They are the eyes and hands of big brother and they love to take children away from parents.
Actually here in Canada they are a privately owned corporation but get some funds by the government

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Morel, when that baby is due, you and DD come down and stay with me....that baby would be an American citizen and they can put that in their pipes and smoke it! :) Drop off the radar....this is the perfect place to do that! :p

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think that many people were raised with no responsability, due to the concept of family being lost, and are now so caught up with texting their friends about last nights "reality" show that reality is the furthest thing from their minds. When you are so wrapped up in what is not real, you lose sight of what is. I don't think it's an intentional thing, but many people just haven't stopped to smell the roses.

I also think that things weren't as rose colored as history recalls it, when thinking of the "good old days". I think when people look back they tend to think of the good times or good issues, not the bad.

It seems that every generation has their issues with societal changes, but when they take a look back, it's not as bad as it seems while it's happening.

I think it's terrible that a government can think that they know better than a woman, how to raise her child. Also, senseless tragedys happen all the time, often time controversy puts a shadow on the real issue, there is always someone who knows better in their minds. I also think that it's none of my business what anyone else thinks of me or my family, I'm gonna be stronger for them thinking bad of me.

Wow that was a long post, hope it is logical as I tend to ramble...

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Mackay said:
Actually here in Canada they are a privately owned corporation but get some funds by the government
Privately owned corporation does not mean that they are not subject to big brother and big brothers ways. What do they have to do to keep their business sustainable? Keep busy controlling other's kids?