What foods to store from a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner's point of view

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I feel nauseated before eating and feel sick and fatigued after eating. My blood pressure drops after eating. So I avoid eating! Which means I grab the most energy-dense food I can find. Fluids help control the blood pressure drop, so high calorie liquids. I have to eat high-salt diet too. So..... ramen with peanut butter, potato chips with whole milk, and hot cocoa is pretty much what I'm living on. The nausea results in frequent food aversions too. They do pass eventually but it can be months.

Supposedly eating low carb helps, but I have food aversions to meat, beans and hummus :barnie:hit. @freemotion what the heck can I eat?!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Holy Cow @ Tortoise! Bless your heart. I can imagine needing to eat like that would create food aversions. I mean, I like a little junk food every now and then, but too much of it and I run toward the nearest salad I can find!

Oh yeah...new pedometer says I've done a whole 1.6 miles today. That's just feeding this morning and going to the "facilities" a couple of times today.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
FEM, you'd be amazed how many miles you can do in a day just doing chores and going about your business. Especially when you're busy, which you are.

@tortoise :hugs I had similar issues with eating and feeling bad before and after. It's awful. Went the high calorie liquid route too for awhile. Started taking meal replacement drinks, I still do daily, for "breakfast". It helps and it's nutrient rich, so it's a good drink. Maybe something like that would help you? I found lying down for a few minutes after eating helps you recover when you start feeling lightheaded or nauseas, or both.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I feel nauseated before eating and feel sick and fatigued after eating. My blood pressure drops after eating. So I avoid eating! Which means I grab the most energy-dense food I can find. Fluids help control the blood pressure drop, so high calorie liquids. I have to eat high-salt diet too. So..... ramen with peanut butter, potato chips with whole milk, and hot cocoa is pretty much what I'm living on. The nausea results in frequent food aversions too. They do pass eventually but it can be months.

Supposedly eating low carb helps, but I have food aversions to meat, beans and hummus :barnie:hit. @freemotion what the heck can I eat?!
I can't really say without a full workup, and since that's not happening, I'm just going to guess that you have pretty severe digestive issues. I would also strongly suggest that you see a very good nutritional therapy practitioner. They will get to the bottom of it instead of just throwing meds at it. We are trained to work north to south with digestion while working with diet at the same time as our first line of defense.

If you are craving salt, first thing is to get some really high-quality salt in your house. You should be eating high-quality salt and not the garbage that comes on junk food. As for food, have you been able to eat homemade bone broth? That is soothing to most digestive systems and is highly nutritious. Although the long cooked version is more traditional there are some people who are histamine sensitive and need to use a very short cooked version.

You need to get to the bottom of this, and quickly. I imagine you have a lot of severe health problems and low energy just based on your one post above. I have a couple of causes for your symptoms in mind, the more likely one will take quite a bit of detective work to resolve, but absolutely can be resolved.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Please, I beg you, no commercial meal replacement drinks. I've never found a single one that wasn't a nutritional nightmare.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Please, I beg you, no commercial meal replacement drinks. I've never found a single one that wasn't a nutritional nightmare.
Really? That is a good to know, if a bit worrying...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bone broth!
I do need to make a batch of BB!

DH used to drink an Atkins drink every morning for breakfast. I would like to be able to make a homemade milk based breakfast drink for him. But, on second thought, what's wrong with just a glass of good ol' goat milk?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I have to have a drink of something for breakfast. I struggle to eat early in the day, but I try to get something with a bit more than milk, as I am very active in the mornings and am trying hard to hang onto the weight I managed to gain so far. Hence the meal replacements. Which I add to milk.