what gifts are you making this holiday season?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
For me, it's a portion of my overall expression of love for others. Not the ONLY way, but a wonderful way. It springs from who I am internally.

Edited to correct typo.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
For me, it's a portion of my overall expression of love for others. Not the ONLY way, but a wonderful way. It springs from who I am internally.

Edited to correct typo.
That's a big reason for me, too. Plus, I bore easily. I like to stay busy by making things for others.

Most of my most prized items are things that people took time to make for me.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Me too! If I have the time, energy and the ability to bless others, that's a good thing for me. I like doing it. As long as I am not financially harming my family by doing it I will continue to. I hope my kids will carry it with them and have a giving spirit (especially to those less fortunate) as well.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm making soaps, smelly jellies and hopefully the jar foods. I definately am going to make hot chocolate. I've already bought the dehydrated mini marshmallows to put in it! They're $3.39/lb at the amish store where I used to live, and it's about a quart and a half to two quarts of minis for half a pound, so $1.68, and that will give me as many hot chocolate bags or jars as I could possibly give away.

I'm also hoping to trade soaps and such for other stuff that I can't make or don't have the money to buy raw ingredients for. Plus, maybe sell some for x-mas money for people who aren't going to want what I can make (most men really aren't going to be excited over soap or smellies, lol).

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like to give to others as well, but as the situation prescribes it. Not just in response to an arbitrary date on the calendar. It just seems so pointless.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hikerchick said:
I like to give to others as well, but as the situation prescribes it. Not just in response to an arbitrary date on the calendar. It just seems so pointless.
I guess I respond to arbitrary dates on calendars.
Christmas, birthdays, Mothers Day, anniversaries.....

we do it 'cause we've always done it. And I kinda like it.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hikerchick said:
I do not just give on certain days, I make regular donations to food pantries and my neighbors for no reason at all year round ;) But on another note I find most need comes in the winter months when supplies are low from the lack of ability to get items either from weather or lack of funds (from work being harder to find in the winter)

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hikerchick said:
that is your opinion. obviously not everyones. some of us celebrate that date on the calendar as a very special day and giving gifts signifies something special. By giving something handmade we are giving of ourselves and not of Walmart. Please dont make this thread a debate.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
hikerchick said:
I guess I respond to arbitrary dates on calendars.
Christmas, birthdays, Mothers Day, anniversaries.....

we do it 'cause we've always done it. And I kinda like it.
:thumbsup

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One year while I was in university I had VERY little money for the holidays, my entire gift budget was about $20... so I went to the dollar store and bought a bunch of tiny, handmade blank books. They were only a couple inches on either side and had about 40 pages.

I wrote a book for every person on my list. On each page of the notebooks I wrote either a happy memory I had with that person, or a reason I felt that person was important to me... I left a few pages blank at the end with a note about how I look forward to filling the rest of the book with great memories.

There wasn't one person that I gave that book too that didn't cry in happiness...

I don't find it wasteful at all to pick any arbitrary date on a calendar, whether it's a recognized holiday or not, to let the people in your life know how important they are too you, and that they are worth your time in making (or buying) a gift for.