Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The oldest silkie hen I have is 5 and that's because she was two when I got her. She's still laying at the same rate, well she was before she started molting. I've had chicks from her in the last couple hatches.

That's something I've noticed on the silkies. They don't slow down much if any on laying as they get older. They do take 2 to 3 breaks a year to go broody. That is probably why. Not pushed to produce so they don't wear out. When laying, they out lay every other breed here.

It is not unusual for pullets to only lay a few eggs and go broody. One this year laid 3 before doing so. Last year I had a girl who decided laying first wasn't even needed.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No one is pushed to lay here. I don't light them in winter. The ameraucana and EE lay an egg or two a week each in the darkest days.

Not laying at all is unacceptable. No signs of distress or illness in the new hampshire or brahmas. Still bullying the blue layers. They are heavy and probably too fat from stealing all the treats.

I'm culling them as soon as the rains come back and I can dig more than a foot into the ground in half an hour. I don't like to do it when I can't bury the butchering leftovers.

I do necropsy my birds, or if it's worrying me, take them to the Avian lab for professional necropsy.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree about the broody breaks and how it affects a chicken's overall laying life. Also winter breaks. I think these are natural cycles for a hen, so breeds that have been so manipulated that they no longer go broody or lay right through the winter months are those most likely to burn out early and develop reproductive issues.

Just as it's good for any female animal to be pregnant, even many times in their lives, it's good for chickens to brood and raise chicks...it fulfills their purpose and makes them a more social bird within the flock overall.

Rabbits produce better and stay healthier if they kindle often as opposed to never getting to kindle more than once a year or not at all. Same with sows..they too have larger, healthier litters if allowed to be bred at least once per year. Female dogs do better if they are allowed to have a litter before being spayed and I believe cats do as well.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Mom checked that chicken, which would usually be completely gone by now, consumed by the various scavengers. That bird hasn't been touched.

Even the scavengers know that thing is infectious! :sick :sick :sick :sick

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now that is bad, even buzzards don't want it. Kinda reminds me of a batch of biscuits I made once, not the dog or the birds would eat them!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow @Beekissed , thank you! You're saving us and our chickens from ourselves. Both my husband and I new to chickens, and we have been reading a LOT about chickens, but no where did we read anything like this. We really appreciate your input, pictures, and experience. We had separated our three oldest hens a little more than a week ago, and now we know for sure, that only one of the three is still laying. So with the thread with @crealbilly showing us how to make our own chicken plucker, culling birds has been added to this weekend's list of projects.
A question: the third older bird is still consistently laying an egg every 2-3 days. We believe she is about 4 years old, but have no way of knowing for sure. Would you also cull that one due to age, or wait till she slows down laying?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
question: the third older bird is still consistently laying an egg every 2-3 days. We believe she is about 4 years old, but have no way of knowing for sure. Would you also cull that one due to age, or wait till she slows down laying?

If you can afford to keep her around and she's maintaining good conditioning, you could wait. She sounds like she's still got good laying cycles going on. If you have replacement hens enough and don't want to carry extra birds through the winter months, you could cull her anyway.

I like to keep the older hens who are still laying around if I can...they make great broody mamas and help keep a steady social structure. I go by general conditioning and laying status in deciding to keep a gal around.

Keep in mind, unless you are broiling or frying your birds, the skin isn't likely needed. If they are older birds, broiling and frying are not likely to be the best way to prepare them. I never pluck any longer, as I never utilize the skin....skinning is expedient and faster than having to have hot water and a plucker or plucking by hand.

Last edited:

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks @Beekissed !
She seems very healthy, and is not aggressive toward any of the other birds, so we'll probably keep her then. We're not super concerned with how many eggs any one chicken lays, especially this first year. We're just trying to keep them healthy and happy, and to get a good foundational flock started.
So much of what we've read is generic stuff. When researching, it can be hard to find a little "meat on the bones" sometimes. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience (both + and -) with us. :clap

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thanks @Beekissed !
She seems very healthy, and is not aggressive toward any of the other birds, so we'll probably keep her then. We're not super concerned with how many eggs any one chicken lays, especially this first year. We're just trying to keep them healthy and happy, and to get a good foundational flock started.
So much of what we've read is generic stuff. When researching, it can be hard to find a little "meat on the bones" sometimes. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience (both + and -) with us. :clap

You are quite welcome! Not much in any books out there about real chicken keeping...just the USDA approved version of what to feed, water, bedding, cooping and fencing of chickens. Happy to be of help.

If you are also a member of BYC, here's a thread that will be good reading if you have the time...many old timers on there with good, old fashioned advice about chickens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...nd-lay-some-wisdom-on-us.605260/#post-7971451