What household product can you do without?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We can do without a lot. I can make my own pine cleaner, laundry soap, dish soap, bath soap, shampoo, most cleaners, toothpaste is baking soda for me. I hate toothpaste. I make everything I can from simple ingredients. We don't have a dishwasher either. I've been doing without a truck, so I guess ya can count that too :D Not that I WANT to do without on that, but it is what it is...can't afford one right now.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't buy/use paper towels or paper napkins, or dryer sheets. I make my own laundry detergent. My cleaning supplies are very basic - vinegar, Comet, baking soda. I don't buy/use convenience food - 90% of my grocery shopping is done on the outer aisles.

If I had to, I could do without my microwave, no problem. And my dryer. And the TV (although hubby wouldn't be too pleased!). Dog food would be easy to give up. Part of their diet is already homemade and raw.

I could also give up a lot of other "personal" items if I just took the time to buy the ingredients and make it myself: deodorant, bath soap, shampoo, etc. I did try homemade hairspray - yuck!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Most of them :) But I need my washing soda, borax, Fels-Naptha, and soapmaking supplies. Plus vinegar!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
homemade deodorant? More info please...
http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2010/02/homemade-all-natural-deodorant.html
Ingredients:

6-8 Tbsp Coconut oil (solid state)
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch (arrowroot is preferred)

Directions:

1.Combine equal portions of baking soda & arrowroot powder.
2.Slowly add coconut oil and work it in with a spoon or hand blender until it maintains a firm but pliable texture. It should be about the same texture as commercial deodorant, solid but able to be applied easily. If it is too wet, add further arrowroot powder/cornstarch to thicken.
3.You can either scoop this recipe into your old deodorant dispensers or place in a small container with lid and apply with fingers with each use. Makes about 1 cup. This recipe lasts about 3 months for two people with regular daily use.
She has an excellent video how to do it.