What household product can you do without?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't use anything with artificial scents. No air fresheners. No scented personal products either. That stuff is toxic! For cleaning I use water, vinegar, bon-ami, unscented dishwash soap and rarely bleach. I can do without a microwave and dishwasher but I like my cloths dryer! I wish I could get my family to use less napkins and paper towels.

goldenluver

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
paper towels, I use cloth napkins
disposable menstrual pads, I make cloth ones
toilet paper, I use cloth
garbage bags, I use what ever bag I get from the store
store bought soap, I make my own
laundry detergent, I make my own
I own a steam mop, so no floor cleaners

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ooo, this is fun I love seeing everyones list. We don't need:
Scented room fresheners
fabric softener
swiffers
shampoo( Well just me- husband and baby both use baby shampoo)
conditioner
paper towels
kleenex
disposible plates, cups, etc. ( I grew up in a home were we used these for every meal)
diapers

We make our own:
detergent
cleaners- vinegar and baking soda, some ammonia and rubbing alcohol. (awesome for cleaning mirrors and wiping down bathroom sinks)
deodorant

Some things we do use but, they are on the list for finding replacements:
-Barkeepers Friend- So far nothing cleans up my porceline kitchen sink as well as barkeepers friend. My husband occasionally uses it for our copper pots when they need a good cleaning.
-Soap and liquid dishsoap-we buy from someone who makes it but, I would love to learn to make my own.
-Q tips
-chapstick
I still wear makeup on Sundays and special occasions. I think I will always continue to buy razors and toothpaste. And if the shtf then I'll just let myself go hairy and toothless.

saraltx

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
On reading through this thread, I feel I don't use most of what is mentioned. I'll try a list, but will leave out a bunch that doesn't even occur to me as things you're "supposed" to use.

I don't use:
- store bought soap. I make my own.
- shampoo and conditioner. I use baking soda and vinegar. If anything, my hair has become healthier since I'm doing this.
- paper towels
- never bought air freshener or disposable plates, cups etc. in my life
- very few detergents. I'll probably cut it back more soon and make my own.
- Cleaning towels/rags or a mop etc. I use old clothes to clean and mop the floor with.
I do use toothpaste and deodorant, but I'm also considering starting to make my own instead.

slightlyscrambled

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
I just bought a fantastic micro-fiber dust mop at Lowes the other day. It works the same as a Swiffer, but when it gets yucky,..throw it in the washer. ;) Works great on those hardwood floors.
I have one of these also they work great for cleaning the shower too. One thing I can do with out is the dryer havent used it in over three years. Also dont use any cleaners other than bleach, vinigar and baking soda.

eggrookie2010

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You guys rock! I DO NOT know how to make my own soaps and cleaners etc YET. We have used cloth napkins for years and thats about it. Im learning but it takes awhile. Ill find the soap thread soon...

GaFarmGirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I make my own dryer sheets. I just put 1 part liquid fabric softener to two parts water. Cut up some sponges and toss in softener -- when you are ready to put your clothes in the dryer wring one of the sponges out and toss it in the dryer. I have made one bottle of fabric softener last more than a year!! Clothes smell fresh!

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I dont buy any cleaners except Magic Erasers and Dawn. Working on perfecting a dish liquid recipe, tho'. I make laundry and dishwasher powders and stain remover. This involves buying all the usual culprits, plus Oxyclean and Wisk.

I don't buy shampoo, conditioner, shave gel, deo, lotion, hair product, perfume, lip balm, sunblock, or bug repellent. I make that stuff. Also toothpaste, mouthwash, fabric softener. I gave up cling wrap altogether. Cloth cuts down on TP and paper towels, but we still use some. Cloth hankies, napkins, microfiber for glass, Shmop heads. Diaphragm and cloth for menstrual needs, cloth diapers until a few months ago. Went Honeybee Gardens for nail polish, it removes with rubbing alcohol, so no more nail pplush remover. We heat with wood pellets and also use them for cat litter.

We go thru tons and tons of Ziplocs, but I do wash and reuse them. I need to get some Tattler lids to eliminate the metal sposie lids.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't been happy with my homemade dishwashing detergent (we don't have a dishwasher), but I make my own laundry detergent and deodorant. I use vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide for cleaning just about everything else in my home; but I would love the recipe for homemade pine cleaner. I have a microfiber mop and dusting/cleaning cloths that I can wash. I use cloth diapers instead of paper towels except for wiping extra grease out of the pans before I wash them (I troll my friends' cars for paper napkins from take-out food)

I got rid of our microwave just this month after reading about some of the health risks. I'm having a little trouble with remembering to take meat or dog food out early enough in the day to thaw, but other than that I don't miss it at all

If the house smells funky and I can't open the windows because of the cold, I use incense (I love copal!).

I have a huge pile of soap bars from when my mom died (I think she hoarded them) but when I finally run out, I will make my own. I've been using Toms of Maine toothpaste, but I think I'll try making my own when I run out of that too. I like JR Liggetts shampoo bars, but I think I could make my own. I don't use razors because since I hit menopause the hair on my legs and armpits has virtually disappeared (which leaves me more time to deal with the whiskers sprouting on my chin :/ ) I like the idea of 'family cloths' but haven't gotten around to doing that yet

I make our dogs food - they love it and they look great (their coats are so soft and shiny now). I also make suet cakes for the wild birds.

I think one thing I would have a hard time living without is my vacuum cleaner. I've tried carpet sweepers and they just don't get the dog hair out of the carpet.

Latest posts