What if DH/DW Couldn't?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Suggestions. A chair by raised beds you already planned, that's easier than standing. An herb garden -- in small pots on a raised platform that could be a plank on cinder blocks! A Couple posts, with trellis...cukes, pole beans near house.

Don't rush. I believe she just wants to "contribute" but it's pretty obvious her health won't allow but so much. Seems that will become more apparent to her soon.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beginning to think I bit off more than I can chew with this place. 🤔

i feel that way every time i look out the window at all the projects i'd like to get done. one thing at a time and then if some things don't get done, well they've not gotten done for the last 5-10-15 years... another day won't matter...

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wonder if one of those rounded individual pots in a tall structure that are sold, would be good for her gardening? Let me look up a link.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I wonder if one of those rounded individual pots in a tall structure that are sold, would be good for her gardening? Let me look up a link.

Possibly. Need anti-Bambi protection or else I am just setting the buffet at an easier height for them to reach. 😆

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Beginning to think I bit off more than I can chew with this place. 🤔
Nah - you got this! It's just a lot of things hitting you at once.

Like the tower planter above!

Or, would she consider perhaps a "raised bed" of planters on a shelf?

Porch rails?

1710598234706.jpeg

Or something like this:

shopping

Hope you can find a solution!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My Mom can't really bend or lift much weight because of multiple spine surgeries. She has both knees and one hip replaced so no getting down. She's lost a lot of grip strength as well.

She gardens in large pots on the patio. Tomatoes every year and whatever else she decides to try. Herbs are all potted because she uses the heck out of fresh herbs.

Every spring someone has to help her lift each pot to the wheelbarrow so she can dump it it to loosen soil and add some fresh and some chicken litter. She sits in a chair at the wheelbarrow to do it. She can refill the pots but not move them when full.

So it is possible for someone to do a little gardening even when disabled.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had to wrap my garden stuff in chicken wire in the last place. So many deer on the golf course.

I'd put it on a pallet (if you don't have a deck) and then fashion a "cage" of wire around it with an opening cut so she can come and go. Simple, not fancy. It just might satisfy her desire to garden.