What if DH/DW Couldn't?

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
you are welcome to come dig up as many as you'd like to take from here. we probably have a few thousand to spare and Mom wouldn't mind if you took all of them... :)
i found a beautiful bulb mix online. Itś too bad they are so toxic...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For me, I'm already doing most of the physical work, but I know I can't do it all. I can't do housework and farm work and garden and do them all well. Either my house will be dirty or I'll be behind in the garden or the goats will need some maintenance.

I'm living this thread right now. As mentioned previously, I already do most of the physical work. Now I have the extra time-sucking job of the physical care of DH for as long as his problems continue. Definitely not whining about that! I'm so thankful that he's still here for me to care for. His weakness won't last forever and I see small gains in his strength daily. However, the time that I'm spending on his care is subtracting from my ability to do all the other chores that need to be done on a daily basis. We start at 6am with one of his meds that has to be taken several hours apart from other meds and certain foods. After that I can fix him a carefully selected breakfast followed by more meds. Fast forward to lunch, more pills dinner, more pills. Throw in some bathroom trips, umpteen water refills a day, and the occasional 'oops I dropped the remote can you pick it up for me' accidents.

It's funny because the enormity of the tiny things is mind blowing! Thankfully, he's able to get up and down out of his recliner on his own now. That's a huge relief.

My respect for caretakers has grown immensely!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm living this thread right now. As mentioned previously, I already do most of the physical work. Now I have the extra time-sucking job of the physical care of DH for as long as his problems continue. Definitely not whining about that! I'm so thankful that he's still here for me to care for. His weakness won't last forever and I see small gains in his strength daily. However, the time that I'm spending on his care is subtracting from my ability to do all the other chores that need to be done on a daily basis. We start at 6am with one of his meds that has to be taken several hours apart from other meds and certain foods. After that I can fix him a carefully selected breakfast followed by more meds. Fast forward to lunch, more pills dinner, more pills. Throw in some bathroom trips, umpteen water refills a day, and the occasional 'oops I dropped the remote can you pick it up for me' accidents.

It's funny because the enormity of the tiny things is mind blowing! Thankfully, he's able to get up and down out of his recliner on his own now. That's a huge relief.

My respect for caretakers has grown immensely!
I hadnt even considered caregiving when I posted. I'm a little speechless thinking about it. I might be able to maintain this farm alone, but not with caregiving added on! 😲

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Absolutely! If I have to give everything up in order to give him what he needs there won't be any hesitation to do so. He is definitely priority #1! :love
Such an apropos set of comments, we are at the 3 year anniversary of the wife's heart attack. Lots of new tradeoffs and changes in direction for certain. ❤

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately these events happen without warning or anticipation. Spouses, family members....you become caretaker and your life is changed forever. I've been through DH with cancer, passing. Several years later, mom and altzheimers for 6 yrs....5 here at my house. I can assure you that I do not want DD to have that with me. Everyday I try to stay strong, healthy and prep for all I can. The toll is physical and emotional...and often financial.