What is growing in your garden?

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Taters, Sweet corn, Pop corn, Swiss chard, Radishes, Carrots, Parsnips, few kinds of hot peppers, Bell peppers, Eggplant, Broccoli, Bush green beans, Collard greens, Tomatoes, Summer squash, Cucs, Strawberries, Pumpkins, Lettuce.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
27 'mater plants,5 different varieties, 'taters (two kinds of regular plus sweet 'taters) three kinds of bell peppers, hungarian wax peppers, sweet banana peppers plus some jalapeno's, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, strawberry's, asparagus, three kinds of lettuce,spinach, onion sets and green onions, peas, radishes, two kinds of beans, cucumbers, spaghetti squash, watermelons, cantaloupes, beets, sweet corn, acorn squash, and the wife has one heck of an herb garden!!

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK Iv worked out what Maters are :lol:.

It's Winter here so I am growing not a lot but have in the vegie patch, some lettuce, bok choy, pak choy, carrots, cabbage, broccoli, rocket and some radishes.

In pots I have some coriander, chives and parsley and mint.

We call peppers capsicum over here.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lovechooks said:

It's Winter here so I am growing not a lot but have in the vegie patch, some lettuce, bok choy, pak choy, carrots, cabbage, broccoli, rocket and some radishes.

whats a rocket? :hu

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Tomatoes, peppers, potatoes.

Every type of green and lettuce I could find seeds for:
Romaine, chard, kale, mache, spinach, leaf lettuces, cabbage, etc.

Zucchini, which doubles with fried blossom fritters.
Winter squash, pickle cucumbers, melons.

Leeks, onions, shallots, 8 varieties of garlic.

Asparagus, peas, italian green beans, black beans.

Carrots, parsnip, salsify, jerusalem artichoke, parsley root, beets, rutabaga.

Not in the garden but added to each year: Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, plums, sour cherries, apples, pears, persimmons.

In their own garden- loads of herbs, easier to list what isn't there, lol!

I just began a small garden on the east side of house with morning sun for more greens. I tried this a few years back and had spinach and baby lettuces and radishes all summer. As long as you keep picking when small they don't bolt or go bitter.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
firem3 said:
Lovechooks said:

whats a rocket? :hu
I've seen it labeled "roquette", and it was arugula :) Grows great in cool weather!

I have all of that lovechooks has, plus all the warm stuff planted and coming up a bit--squash, cukes, melons, tomatoes. The potatoes are giving me the best year yet!! Only about 1 dozen potato beetles in 70 lb planted! They are sprawling and growing so large that I think one more quick hoeing and then they will cover their own aisles :love

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lots of tomatoes -6 or 7 kinds that I know of plus some mystery plants that volunteered all over the yard. It'll be interesting to see what those are. Lettuce, chard, cukes - 3 varieties, yellow squash, a sugar baby watermelon, asparagus - just started, various herbs, red and white onions, various peppers sweet and hot, radishes, carrots somewhere, bush and pole beans that are not thriving, and a bunch of weeds. Oh, and broccoli that is finished and will be replaced with cabbage.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
The potatoes are giving me the best year yet!! Only about 1 dozen potato beetles in 70 lb planted! They are sprawling and growing so large that I think one more quick hoeing and then they will cover their own aisles :love
That's a lot of potatoes! What do you use to fertilize them?

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In the backyard, I have tomatoes (sweet cherry), kennebec taters, beauregard sweet taters, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, beans (yellow, green and pole), strawberries (next year), raspberries, lavender, sage, cucumbers, two serviceberry trees and a native plum. In the front, I have watermelon, canteloupe, onions, strawberries (next year), raspberries, blackberries, brussel sprouts, romaine, carrots, mesclun, 2 native plums, mint (potted, chocolate), oregano, chives, and whatever else I plant there in the future. I have about 1/2 my front yard as planting beds and am working on a very informal level. I'm following the cram method. Cram as much as you can where you can. The plants that are picky about who they are next to get put in certain areas and the rest are spread around, any gaps are filled as soon as I have a free seedling. Oh, I also have sunflowers in both front and back yards.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:
Noobie...have you tried your lettuce in a shady area? I had some growing quite nicely into our hotter season last year and it was in nearly all shade.
Well, thats the tricky part. There isn't a place in my yard that doesn't get a ton of sun almost all day. Only really close around the house and the chickens have claimed that area. I do have areas in the fringe forest, but lots of wild creatures too. I doubt it'd survive there unless I planted a TON.
I do have some in a container that is shaded by several other plants, those are doing well. Actually, its the same container I planted last year and harvested all the way through winter. The plants never got more than 10" tall, and I picked several salads off them. I guess I should rig up a shade for the ones in the ground, but I'm gonna try chard too.

Latest posts