What is growing in your garden?

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Dace said:
Noobie...have you tried your lettuce in a shady area? I had some growing quite nicely into our hotter season last year and it was in nearly all shade.
Well, thats the tricky part. There isn't a place in my yard that doesn't get a ton of sun almost all day. Only really close around the house and the chickens have claimed that area. I do have areas in the fringe forest, but lots of wild creatures too. I doubt it'd survive there unless I planted a TON.
I do have some in a container that is shaded by several other plants, those are doing well. Actually, its the same container I planted last year and harvested all the way through winter. The plants never got more than 10" tall, and I picked several salads off them. I guess I should rig up a shade for the ones in the ground, but I'm gonna try chard too.
Did you see my pea trellis? This was taken a month or so ago. In the hotter months, after the peas have grown high up, I plant lettuce underneath the A frames. The pease provide the lettuce shade, and I am able to harvest the lettuce from either end without crawling inside. I think with the netting each one cost about 18.00 dollars to build, and I will re-use them in the next coming years.

ETA: photo

p1011158.jpg

karanleaf

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well where to start oinons, Rainbow Swiss Chard, Lettuce, Cabbage, Kolarobi (sp?) Brocolli, Brussle Sprouts, Tomato plants, Basil, Oregano, Acorn squash, Butternut squash, Zucchinni, Aspargus beans,(in the straw bales) Sweet Banana Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers, Cantalope, Moon & Stars, Sugar Babies, and Black Diamond watermelons, Golden Yukon Potato in 5 gal buckets, Sweet potato and that's just in the garden area....

this one was taken acouple of weeks ago before we got all the mulch down, so pardon the newspaper. :)

Ya don't want to get me started on what we have growning for the greenhouse :woot

I love the dirt :ya

:frow Karan :D

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Karan I have vegie garden envy.

Rockets just a green leavy thing you use in salads.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have:
radishes
lettuce
beets
mustard greens
collard greens
peas
jalapenos
zuchinni
yellow squash
bush beans
pole beans
tomatoes
okra
swiss chard
basil
cilantro
parsley
mint
lemon balm
In pots:
Fig Tree
Strawberries

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
ok, I feel a little inadiquate (?? I know, I can't spell) but here is what I have
several varrieties of 'matters
bell peppers, 2 types (not doing so well, think I planted them too close to the matters?)
cucumbers,
corn
watermellon (kids are growing it . . :) )
pinto beans,
lavender
carrots . . how can you tell when carrots are ready to harvest . .

So, this is my first year. I did have peas, and oh they were so yummy. But it has gotten too hot for them now, so they are withered.

If anyone can tell me to know when to harvest my carrots I would be very grateful. :clap

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Weeds and rocks, same as usual. I can't wait 'til school gets out and we can get the fence up and the veggies in! 3 more days!!

karanleaf

Power Conserver
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Karenleaf, who is your cabbage trying to call?
DH says it was calling the tomato in the next bed over. :gig :lol:

The cabbage and DH

Thanks gang this is the second year for that raised bed.

:frow Karan :D

laststrawfarm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We're growing heirlooms of tomatos,potatos,onions, bush beans, peas, eggplant(also not doing so good), cukes, lettuce, spinach, summer squash, zucchini, butternut squash, carrots, spices, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage. We got off to a late start because of the rain. A lot of the farmers still haven't got their corn in. I am going to plant some this weekend even though it's so late so I'll have to dust for earworms.

Latest posts