What is the one thing you splurge on?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
one thing? hard to pick just one, but chocolate, tart dried cherries and vanilla are three things i feel i splurge on. the cherries are sort of local since they are grown upstate from us, but not local local. the chocolate comes from Belgium. well worth the price. i hardly have been eating it lately - Mom's been making other sweet stuff and i've enjoyed perfecting my tapioca pudding making skills. which uses the vanilla which came from Mexico many years ago. it makes the recipe as far as i'm concerned. i don't know where the tapioca is grown (a little goes a long ways :) ).

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Brahmas. And jerseys. One of our jerseys is from Wisconsin. All of our Brahmas are from out of state show quality breeders. And baby stuff. I will pay more for cotton baby clothes that aren’t and can’t be grown here. That’s another thing. Cotton!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Chickens. Show quality silkies aren't cheap when you need to add new blood. The fluffy little demons need constant rain shelter in my climate and straw or wood chips on the ground in their runs.
Uggh, same here. I bought "show quality" chicks and didnt know enough to count their toes. Thanks to @Cecilia's-life teaching me some basics, I will be Silkie shopping in spring. Chicken math 🤷‍♀️

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They're harvesting cotton all around me this week....in fact, fields on both sides of me will probably get picked next week. Then there's processing.

My splurge are the wet wipes for cleaning counters, stove tops. I use washable cloth for a lot but I love the clean, wipe and toss for those!

Chocolate a splurge? 🤔 I thought a necessity! 😁 :old don't break my bubble!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Uggh, same here. I bought "show quality" chicks and didnt know enough to count their toes. Thanks to @Cecilia's-life teaching me some basics, I will be Silkie shopping in spring. Chicken math 🤷‍♀️

We have enough good breeders around here I can find what I need. The eggs I got earlier this year were from nice birds even though she doesn't show. She tries for SOP which is what matters. Shipped eggs only because it was too drive to southern Oregon and back in a day.

Latest posts