What is this 2012 thing I keep hearing about?

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, just that, I keep hearing about this 2012 thing, but no one can realy say what thee heck it is. Can anyone shed some light on this subject?
Thanks

jackiedon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm not sure but our youth pastor told the kids a person of a different faith as us told him The Lord was coming on some date in 2012. That's all I know. Of course I don't think anyone knows when the day is.

jackie

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
It's just the usual "We're all gonna die!" stuff you hear every few years.:rolleyes:

The Mayan calendar stops in the year 2012, on something like December 21st, if I remember correctly.

Nostradamus supposedly predicted some type of end of the wold scenario for 2012, although the quatrains referenced have been pretty much debunked as recent fictional additions.

And there are probably some other things that I am not remembering at the moment (it's late).

Just like Global Cooling of the 1970's, Y2k, and our current boggie man, Global Warming, the important thing to remember is that "We're all gonna die!".

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I can remember my Mom telling about stories she had from her Mom about people who were sure the world was ending in 1900- they had camps on the tops of mountains to wait for the destruction. Why the top of mountains I never heard- seems more dangerous for everything but floods.............. Anyway she trotted out this story every time one of these predictions came around.

One day doomers will be right- if you say something bad is going to happens on a continuous basis, you will be right like a clock that doesn't run being right twice a day.

Don't you wonder what happens to these people who make these predictions? Like do they ever open a conversation with "Well, I thought that there was going to be widespread destruction on 1/1/2000 and spent lots of money to prepare. But since it didn't happen, do you want to buy my stored up batteries before they are no good any more?" Do they jsut go back into their cave to come back out at a future time when it's time for total destruction again? Did they all really die and left everyone else who didn't know about it to keep on going? Hmmmmm..................:rolleyes:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I had a lot of people coming to a copy shop where I worked in the 90's who believed a big earthquake would destroy the world in June. When I saw them in August, the earth was still in one piece and the main guy had become an alcoholic.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't go there.
I can't be doom and gloom to that level.
I truly feel when people take anything to extremes, they have a problem living life. Something is missing for them in living....so "we're all gonna die" on X day is their way to make it thru life. Just waiting and not participating.

I don't know...let them have at it. I sure am not worried about it cause if it happens, then I am going out smiling and know I lived fun while here! :D

Hmm...maybe I should be kicking in with MORE fun now...time might be short..LOL

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
KOxxx - Dec. 21st 2012 is the correct date of the end of the Myan calander. And also 2012 the supposed Nostradomas prediction.

But everyone lets not forget the Hopi Indians Prophecy Rock and ummm lets see - If I remember correctly Edgar Cayce "The Sleeping Profit", also had some type of input. I think the latest I have heard is something about NASA might be climbing on board with the 2012 thing.

All very interesting reading if you like that kind of thing. Which I just happen to.

Do I believe it - yes and no. I believe these people made predictions. But I figure KOxxx correct again when he says "We are all going to die" whether its tomorrow, 2012 or 3012 its gonna happen. And I personally prefer not to know the exact time and date.

But when things get bad and I am wanting to feel bad about it I can laugh and say "Well, its almost 2012, so I won't have to put up with it much longer."

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
It's just the usual "We're all gonna die!" stuff you hear every few years.:rolleyes:

Just like Global Cooling of the 1970's, Y2k, and our current boggie man, Global Warming, the important thing to remember is that "We're all gonna die!".
You sound like me. :D

Glad to know someone else remembers the scientists in the 70s saying that the earth was cooling and we were headed into another ice age!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH really digs conspiracy theories, so he's talked about this one before. Luckily, he doesn't take this stuff TOO seriously (at least not that he lets me know about!). Maybe the guy who was making the calendar just got tired, and stopped. He figured that he was gonna be long dead by then anyway, so what did it matter? :lol:

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I don't think NASA is jumping on the bandwagon with this. I think they have made reference disputing a supposed planetary alignment about the same time.

This was flying around BackYard Chickens a few weeks (months?) ago and it died out. I asked for references because someone said it was on the History Channel therefore it was true. I couldn't find anything validating the alignment. Just because something is on History, Discovery, etc. doesn't make it true. Those channels all show speculative programs, not just factual programs.