What is this 2012 thing I keep hearing about?

rosajrms

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I read somewhere that 2012 is when global warming will hit it's tipping point and the oceans will have risen a lot.

Other places have said we may have a pole shift then.

I understand that Jehovah Witnesses belived Jesus is coming back then.

It's interesting. But, we will have to wait and see.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
rosajrms said:
I read somewhere that 2012 is when global warming will hit it's tipping point and the oceans will have risen a lot.
According to story in today's Pravda (Yep, the Soviet State Newspaper), we are yet again on the brink of another Ice Age. It seems their scientists say that data shows that the earth has always undergone a series of ice ages, separated by around 12,000 years of warm weather. They claim that we are at the end of the 12,000 year period. But, at least they say this new ice age will only last 100,000 years.

Here's a link to the story.

I guess that when the first glacier gets to the Arkansas state line, I'll just set my alarm for the next warm period, and sleep through the ice age.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Good thing I don't live in Wisconsin anymore. That whole state is filled with evidence of the last glacier. Canadians...well...they are just screwed :D

"A mere 15,000 years ago, during the Ice Age, most of northern North America lay under the grip of colossal ice sheets. The effects of the advancing and retreating glaciers can be seen in the headlands of Cape Cod, the Finger Lakes of New York, and the hills of Michigan, but nowhere is the glacier's mark upon the land more impressive than in Wisconsin. Indeed, the State has lent its name to the most recent series of glacial advances and retreats, the Wisconsin Glaciation lasting from about 100,000 to 10,000 years ago.

Many times during the last 2 million years, a time also know as the Pleistocene Epoch, the climate fluctuated between warmer and cooler temperatures. During the colder fluctuations, glaciers formed and spread outward from Arctic areas, engulfing most of northern North America. Each of the major glaciations has been followed by a warmer interglacial period, probably similar to that of today, during which the glaciers melted away."
http://www.nps.gov/archive/iatr/expanded/history.htm

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well having followed every conspiracy theory going for a few years, I've learned one thing...it never really happens, but can drive you over the deep end thinking about the what if's...so if I miss the "real" one I won't be missing much...it'll be kinda like a car crash...and I'll live or die, but I won't be hiding in the house avoiding it:>)

I've heard different theories as well regarding the malayan thing...different story everytime you hear it so there can't be much truth to it, just alot of very different rumours..hogwash.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The only thing 2012 ever meant to me was that it was the earliest I could officially retire from my corporate job with a real pension. :D

Browser8

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Of course there is also the writings of the ancient Sumerians.

6000 years ago they depicted all of the planets we know now (some not "discovered" by us as late as the 1930's)

The told of planets not discovered by others for thousands of years. The described the planets, their shapes, their colors, their orientations and told of their history.

We have only verified the colors, sizes & orientations to be true in the last few decades.

They told of another planet that is part of our solar system that is on a 3600 year elliptical orbit.

It should be back in our neighborhood sometime in the 2012 area.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow

some cool stuff I am learning on this thread...interesting!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
***WARNING*** Technical (boring) Content

Browser8 said:
Of course there is also the writings of the ancient Sumerians.

6000 years ago they depicted all of the planets we know now (some not "discovered" by us as late as the 1930's)

The told of planets not discovered by others for thousands of years. The described the planets, their shapes, their colors, their orientations and told of their history.

We have only verified the colors, sizes & orientations to be true in the last few decades.

They told of another planet that is part of our solar system that is on a 3600 year elliptical orbit.

It should be back in our neighborhood sometime in the 2012 area.
I believe that the original prediction for this to happen was for the year 2003. When it didn't occur, another date had to be picked, and for what ever reason, the doomsayers chose 2012.

The idea that this "planet X" is even mentioned is quite debatable and it is the work of one interpreter, Zecharia Sitchin. He interpreted the word "Nibiru" to be this planet. Word meaning, of course, is determined by context. Nibiru (more technically and properly transliterated as neberu) can mean several things.

Sumero-Akkadian cuneiform texts present a confusing portrait of Nibiru. It sometimes represents a "crossing" or "dividing" point.

Scholars of cuneiform astronomy have not been able to determine with certainty what exactly Nibiru is. One thing is certain from the texts, though: Nibiru is never identified as a planet beyond Pluto.

For a far more detailed investigation of the meaning of Nibiru, look up the paper "The Myth of a Sumerian 12th Planet" by Michael S. Heiser, Ph.D., Hebrew Bible and Ancient Semitic Languages, University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Of course, if I am wrong, and this wayward planet causes some type of cataclysmic event in 2012, you have every right to say "I told you so!":D

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Normally I won't let myself get sucked into these end of the world discussions, but I did see a documentary about 6 months ago (can't remember what it was) and for some reason the whole Mayan calendar thing came up and the Mayan chief or head of the Mayan nation or whatever he was called was on and they asked him "What will it mean when the calendar runs out in 2012?" and his response was "It will mean that it's time to make a new calendar." Seems logical to me. ;)