What is this 2012 thing I keep hearing about?

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I recently read an article that suggested that just because it's the end of the Mayan calendar, doesn't mean it's the end of time, after all, Dec. 31st isn't the end of the world. When you get to the end, you just start the calendar over. Of course, I find it difficult to take an end-of-world prophacy seriously from a culture that couldn't fortell it's own demise.

Inchy

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
The latest NASA / 2012 predictions are a reference to the solar cycle (the 11 year cycle of peaks and lows of sun spot activity). We are at the beginning of the current solar cycle, which means there is very little solar activity, and this cycle is predicted to peak at 2012.

The peaks provide the greatest chance of solar flares and CME's (coronal mass ejections) occurring and they have been warning of how vulnerability of our electrical grid is, to powerful solar flares. A large flare could cause electrical outages to a significant portion of the country and cause power to be out for weeks or months. 2012 is predicted to be a more active than usual peak in the cycle.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
There is a show this week on the history channel...I have it set to record :)

I enjoy this kind of stuff, like Wanda, but that does not mean I totally believe it!

BTW Inchy, it is not Dec 31 it is either the 21st as already mentioned or the 12th.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So my new goal is by the year 2012 to be totally SS. ;) Not that I believe anything will happen but I work better with a deadline. Then in January of 2013 I'll pick a new goal. :D

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
someone said it was on the History Channel therefore it was true.
Are you trying to say it might not be? :th

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not that I believe anything will happen but I work better with a deadline. Then in January of 2013 I'll pick a new goal.

***Sounds quite reasonable. If you start a new goal be sure it can be finished by the "next doomsday"---wonder when that will be...I guess we have to wait til after 2012 to find out.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Not that I believe anything will happen but I work better with a deadline. Then in January of 2013 I'll pick a new goal.

***Sounds quite reasonable. If you start a new goal be sure it can be finished by the "next doomsday"---wonder when that will be...I guess we have to wait til after 2012 to find out.
I LIKE that idea! What can I accomplish before doomsday? :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Glad to know someone else remembers the scientists in the 70s saying that the earth was cooling and we were headed into another ice age!
I like to remind the global warming alarmists about this. We were also all supposed to be melted by acid rain too, buried in garbage, and the entire face of the world is supposed to have a high population density like Hong Kong.They have short memories.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
You guys are funny!

Ok, completely SS by Dec. 2012? Hmmm....I have a lot of work to do.

BTW, I was telling Dh that we needed a little goatie to eat up the weeds here at the new place. He actually asked how much one would cost :th I almost fell over! He is slowly coming around.....
So how much is a little goatie? And would it be reasonable to breed one for milk...thinking along the lines of soap. I have no idea how many goats I would need to make my own soap and perhaps a little cheese here and there.