What is wrong with kids today - or What comes after TWO?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
OMG! lol I married a man who was raised that way. The marriage didn't last long.

My son is 3 and he would NEVER dream of that level of sass. And I don't wait around to start counting. Take the little guy by the hand and show him what you expect!

Avoid all that toddler stuff by allowing the poor kid a little bit of freedom - at least the freedom to choose!

I explain "why" all the time, and it is too funny. My son didn't want to hold my hand during Christmas shopping. He said " No No Momma, We're NOT in a parking lot!" lol I had to explain why he needed to hold my hand that day and he has never questioned when I want him to hold my hand in a busy store since then.

Imagine if all parents were honest with their motives - "I need you to hold my hand because I am an obsessive control freak." lol Kids pick up on that stuff.

My son is so spoiled for his good behavior. If he asks nicely and it is safe and reasonable, I give it to him.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
After having been told to behave and not following the direction my mother had given me, I was given a simple warning: " My hand is getting loose!" This meant Mom was really mad and her the next thing would be a spanking. The only thing is, my mother NEVER once spanked me. And she had made it clear that she never would. I knew that; even as a very young child! Yet that statement indicated to me, that Mom was at the end of her rope and it was seriously time to do as she wished!!!
My punishment was to sit or stand in the corner, it was so boring to be there, I really avoided having to do that. It just wasn't worth it :lol:

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
This meant Mom was really mad and her the next thing would be a spanking. The only thing is, my mother NEVER once spanked me.
That's hilarious... Dad did spank us, but only after we had been sent to a corner for 10 minutes to think about what we had done wrong, then we had to go face the music and get our spanking.

Mom never once spanked us, but she told us once that it was because she hits WAY harder than dad... for YEARS after that we had legends about "mom's spankings" and how terrible they would be... we never mis-behaved out of fear we would be on the receiving end of one :)

Marshmallow Man

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you use threats to control children you better be willing and able to follow through. I hate it when people do that too. However you can't exactly spank your child in a store or parking lot. My daughter was acting out in a supermarket one day. We told her we would leave if she did it again and when she di we left the cart where it was and walked out. After that she didn't test us again.