What is wrong with kids today - or What comes after TWO?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
One of my boys was a genius. No kidding. Tall, cute with a full head of bright red hair. He played the flute like a professional. He was always kind to the little kids. He graduated despite being raised by a single parent who spent half his childhood in jail. He had little siblings at home and when he was working at his job he gave most of the money to them by buying their clothes and things they needed. I really loved that kid.

He got caught in the middle of a friends drug deal gone wrong. The casket was closed. A shotgun in the belly at close range. He was 19.
That is HORRIBLE!!! :(

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Yes your actions DO have consequences in REAL life. Sometimes for keeps.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think this thread would be better titled, "What is wrong with parents today?"

There is a thread right now about raising teens that is similar to this train of thought. Folks seem to think that teens just have to get into trouble and that you cannot prevent it no matter how hard you try. That has always puzzled me. Like we have no choice and our kids are doomed for failure no matter how much work we've put into instilling good values.

I get the impression that some parents just don't work that hard because it IS work and its easier to let the kids raise themselves and then blame fate because kids will be kids. I've been told all my parenting life that I cannot control my kids and I can do everything in my power but when they grow up they will do whatever they want anyway......

And I always respond...."Well, until then I'm going to do my very best and they are welcome to do whatever they wish when they leave my home. Meanwhile, they obey my rules."

Just because kids grow up and go their own way does not let us off the hook as parents. We are still obligated to try our hardest to instill good values and try to turn out decent human beings!

I never got to "three" either....my kids would be moving by "two"! :lol:

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
"Well, until then I'm going to do my very best and they are welcome to do whatever they wish when they leave my home. Meanwhile, they obey my rules." That is how I was raised!! When I was a senior in high school, I got a wild hair up my rear end and told my mother I wanted to quit school. She politely informed me that I WAS going to graduate with my class, even if it meant that she had to kick my arse every step of the way to and from school every single day until I had that diploma. Needless to say, I graduated with my class. Thanks Mom, I needed that. :love

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
When my daughter read the title of this thread she said, "What comes after two? .... why TEN of course!"

She reminded me that when I counted it was always forward ... but usually not sequential! And ... you never really knew when I was done counting. :gig

They usually started moving pretty quick at one.

I also had them "whistle broke".

If they were doing ANYTHING and I whistled they froze!

One time we were at a park with a friend of mine and her kids. When we were headed back to the car we had to go down a big hill to get to the parking lot. The kids all started racing down the hill in front of us. When they got near the parking lot I whistled. ALL of my three kids FROZE on the spot - the other three kids raced on out into the busy parking lot!

My friend was amazed. I was shocked that hers weren't trained.

They also had a "special whistle" for the store. When they were older and could be trusted to look around a store without getting in trouble (NO touching glass or racing through the store here!), they were allowed to shop without the parents along. When we were ready to go I would whistle. That means where ever you are in Walmart come to the checkout. Within a few seconds they would all appear and be ready to leave. One day when we were shopping with my mother in law she went off to find something she needed. When I was ready to assemble the kids I whistled. Of course my MIL was still shopping. One of my kids looked at me and said,"Please - don't leave Grandma! She doesn't know the whistle yet!" :lol: :gig

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:yuckyuck I wish I had thought of a whistle...would have saved my voice a lot! :lol:

My nieces and nephews all called me the Drill Sergeant. :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
FF that's funny! Don't leave grandma!

We have our kids snap trained...if we snap our fingers, you had better quit it, because if not, they know what comes next!

I think the problem is now days, kids don't fear the consequences of their actions....we've been taught that allowing our children to feel fear is emotionally damaging...so instead of instillng a healthy fear for consequences to bad actions, we avoid allowing them to feel fear at all.

Teens think they are invincible. You can't hurt them, they have no fear of consequences, because they were never taught to fear the consequences of their actions.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
:yuckyuck I wish I had thought of a whistle...would have saved my voice a lot! :lol:

My nieces and nephews all called me the Drill Sergeant. :D
That's funny.

My youngest brother (13) and sister (10) neither one ever wants to come to my house. When asked why, they replied it's no fun at my house because kids are made to follow rules or help the adults with chores.

:idunno

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I was at a store once with my oldest. He was about 3 at the time. Some kid was having a total meltdown. He wanted something and instead of just saying no, this idiot of a parent spent 20 minutes while going through the isles trying to have her kid accept and like the fact that she wasn't getting a box of cereal he wanted. Finally the kid just had a tantrum (I would guess he was 3 also).

I looked at my son and said "If you ever act like that is a store, I will beat you in front of everyone, and no, I wont feel one bit bad about it. And if I say no I mean no. If you argue with me you will NEVER get what you want. EVER."

You know what? I never had a problem with my oldest in a store :D

So many parents do not want to say no and try to be their kid's buddy instead of being the parent. I wish I could say this was just a younger generation thing, but I know a 55 year old with teens that is doing the same thing. And she wonders why her son is in trouble with the law. :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The worst parents are the ones who "give their kids options" when discipline is involved.

There are no options here concerning that. What I say goes.

Nicole being 4 now---I say, stop, she pushes maybe for a second and I say, One more time and you are in big trouble----and it is over. Cause she knows she never wants to see what happens next. She is smart that way!!! I trained her well..HA HA HA

Never argue with a kid. First of all, you are arguing with a kid. A kid thinks kid. Not adult..HA HA HA.......I never understood so many adults trying to reason with a kid. For what, they think KID all the time..HA HA...no matter what adults say, a kid will reason as a kid.

well, ya'll know what I mean---LOL-LOL

So parents need to grow up, take control and be firm. Giving a kid options in life when picking out a toy or doll is one thing, but in discipline it is a waste of time!!