What is your favorite homemade salad dressing?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Italian Dressing

3/4 c olive oil
1/4 c cider vinegar
2 tbsp hot water
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp dehydrated onion flakes
1 tsp itaian seasoning
2 tsp honey
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp parmesan cheese

Mix honey with hot water until honely is liquid. Combine all ingredients into a jar and shake well. Let sit overnight before using. Shake well before using.

Dry Ranch Seasoning mix

1/3 cup dried parsley
1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/3 cup seasoned salt ( I used regular b/c I didn't have seasoned)
3 tbsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tbsp onion powder
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp paprika

To make dressing, mix 4-5 teaspoons with 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup buttermilk. Shake to mix.

I also added about 1/4 cup vinegar, just b/c I thought it needed extra zip.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Perfect timing! I noticed you mentioning making Italian dressing the other day, at least I think it was you, and meant to ask for the recipe. I use Good Seasonings blend and then add in my own type of oil and vinegar, but I'd much rather have a good from-scratch recipe.

The spinach is thriving. My garden is heavily focused on greens, so as long as I have great dressings in the fridge, the family is happy to eat salad every single day :)

Thank you!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
A variety of salad dressings make it seem like you're not eating the same thing every singel day. Here's some more that we like.

Thousand island Dressing

1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup ketchup
1 cup sweet pickle relish
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
mix thoroughly until combined

Raspberry vinaigrette

1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup vinegar (white)
10 ounces raspberry jam.

Combine until smooth--strain to remove seeds if desired.

There are alot of other raspberry vinaigrette recipes out there, but this one is simple and good.--my dd's favourite!

me&thegals

Reaction score
Excellent! Especially the raspberry one since it would be perfect with spinach and spring lettuce and I have an abundance of raspberry jam in the freezer right now. I have about 6 cruets (sp?) to keep a rotating stock of salad dressings going :)

Here's one I use on spinach-red onion-strawberry-almond salad in June/July when the berries are ripe:

Poppy Seed Dressing
cup milk
2 t poppy seeds
cup Miracle Whip or mayo
1/3 cup sugar (can reduce or use honey)
2 t red wine vinegar

Put all ingredients in bowl or salad dressing container. Shake until well blended. May add more or less milk to adjust consistency.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Just a comment on the italian dressing. --Dh said it was a bit strong in the olive oil flavour--he wants me to make it next time with a different oil, one that doesn't have as strong a flavour. Just thought I would pass this info along, so you can alter the recipe as needed for your own tastes.

me&thegals

Reaction score
I wonder how the extra light olive oil would be... I usually don't put in all olive in my dressings since they tend to coagulate in the fridge and take a while to 'thaw' back out.

Here's another one that is excellent on greens like shredded cabbage, choy or mustard:

Vinaigrette
cup sugar
cup red wine vinegar
3 T soy sauce (I actually use Bragg's liquid aminos for a nicer flavor and less saltiness)
cup olive oil
pinch of salt

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I wonder how the extra light olive oil would be... I usually don't put in all olive in my dressings since they tend to coagulate in the fridge and take a while to 'thaw' back out.

Here's another one that is excellent on greens like shredded cabbage, choy or mustard:

Vinaigrette
cup sugar
cup red wine vinegar
3 T soy sauce
cup olive oil
pinch of salt
Do you put that on cooked cabbage or raw-like coleslaw? I love coleslaw, but years ago, we went out on a snowmobile ride and stopped to eat at a B&B type place, and they served a cooked cabbage that had soy sauce in it. It was sooo good, (didn't think of asking for the recipe then, but) came home and tried to do a search for a recipe similar, and couldn't find anything. I also tried to duplicate it, but not even close. Now it's been so many years, all I remember is that I liked it.

me&thegals

Reaction score
We use it on raw greens. I have a crunchy topping I make, too. I pan fry about 4 T olive or canola oil, 4 T sesame seeds, 4 T sunflower seeds and 3 packages of Ramen-style noodles, no seasoning mix. When that is golden brown, I take it off the burner and let it cool.

Then, I sprinkle it over raw shredded cabbage, choy and/or mustard, plus the dressing. It is a great way to get kids to eat loads of veggies. I hated buying croutons for the family, but they got sick of salads without something crunchy. This does the trick :)

I'll have to try it on stir-fried cabbage, too!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Does anyone ahve a good, easy, creamy caesar recipe? My kids are not happy with any of the ones that I have tried. (I haven't tried in a while)