WHAT is your favorite way to save $?

solarkate

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I, personally, like hanging out my clothes to dry, which I only started doing recently because of Sufficient Self. :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't have a particular favorite, but if I had to name what gives me the most satisfaction~~dumpster diving for something that someone threw away, that I can use and not have to purchase. This gives me such a feeling of smugness, you wouldn't believe! :cool:

I crow on the inside as I happily load it in my truck and I think about it later when I use the item, and then I review it with a happy glow each and every time I think about how much money it I spent on it......absolutely nothing! :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Favorite way? Hmmmm, how does one choose?

I love to make things myself, whether building my cheese press or milking stand or making noodles or cheese or broth, catfood, anything! Also using free materials for anything I make just doubles the satisfaction. Or even purchasing the materials but making something that would cost me many, many times more to purchase the same item.

Oh, and so cool, solarkate, that this forum influenced you! Me, too!

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have always been frugal, so it's hard to say which is my favorite way to save $$$.
I garden, hang out my laundry, coupon, do the thrift store thing, yard sale, etc.

I just enjoy seeing how far I can stretch our money, with God's help! I am truly trying to be that Proverbs 31 woman! I love finding new ways to be thrifty. In fact, I am on here to see about the laundry soap recipe, since I think it's time for me to jump on that wagon!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Homemade laundry soap is amazing! Better than than I ever expected!

I am going to make the dishwasher mix tonight. Our dishwasher doesn't work so great, and when we've tried a cheaper brand than "the green bottle," the dishes are not clean. I'm thinking of using homemade in one cup and the "green bottle" in the other cup to cut that expense in half. But I will try it without the "green" to see what happens.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The home made laundry soap is a big money saver. Love that.

Also, shopping at thrift stores and cooking from scratch.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think it's a combination of all the above ideas rolled into one big money saving ball. The laundry on the line with homemade soap, shopping at second hand stores, cooking from scratch, the garden, hens and sewing. All of these little things add up. But my favorite way not to spend is to stay home. I always have something that needs to be done and if I think really hard I can usually find everything I need right here.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
StonehavenFarm83 said:
I have always been frugal, so it's hard to say which is my favorite way to save $$$.
I garden, hang out my laundry, coupon, do the thrift store thing, yard sale, etc.

I just enjoy seeing how far I can stretch our money, with God's help! I am truly trying to be that Proverbs 31 woman! I love finding new ways to be thrifty. In fact, I am on here to see about the laundry soap recipe, since I think it's time for me to jump on that wagon!!
:welcome

I think of that "virtuous woman" too, especially in summer when I'm stockpiling away fruits and veggies :)

That's another way I save gobs of money--Make, bake, grow, can and freeze a lot of our food.

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!
If I were to list all the ways we practice being frugal, it would take a while! It's just a lifestyle choice. Hey...we were thrifty when thrifty wasn't cool!! (Imagine the tune of the Donny and Marie Osmond song to that line!!)
Thanks for the opinions on the laundry soap. It's one of those smack-myself-in-the-head things to think that I haven't thought to do that before now! Duh!

There are so many simple ways to save that people don't even think about, myself included. I just started making all of our bread in the past month or so. OUCH! Another smack, since I have had the bread machine for years! :p

Really looking forward to checking out this site. It's so nice to find others with the same mindset that we have.