WHAT is your favorite way to save $?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
One more note on the laundry detergent that I've been meaning to post for a while: It is a great stain remover! I usually buy liquid Shout but ran out. So, I brushed on some of the liquid homemade detergent and took out some very serious grass, mud and food stains. WAY better than my usual stain removers. I've loved the detergent so far because of its cost savings and probable less impact on the environment, but now I'm really hooked on its stain-removing abilities! Whooo hooo!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do lots of things, but my absolute favorite is walking out of Goodwill with a bag full of brand name clothes-original price tags still on- for less than one single piece would cost at the original store.

me&thegals

Reaction score
So true, Hennypenny! I just did this last week. I'm thinking "Only $20 for this huge bag of clothes when in the store they would have cost $20 for one piece!"

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Favorite little high for me to save is cut that grocery bill.

Every week I try so hard to keep that bill low and am being more successful.

Other than that I try to save everywhere I can....but within reason. I can get obsessive when I have goals...LOL....but hanging clothes out cuts electricity bill alot also.

I cut my bill easily in 1/2 with CFLs, unplugging anything not needed, and not using the dryer as much.....so it all kicks in and cuts the spending.

Also, stop buying...best way to keep that cash in your hands and not given to others...LOL

me&thegals

Reaction score
There's something so rewarding about slashing the electric bill! Maybe it's the obviousness of the dropping numbers each month. FC, we too have been getting more and more CFLs and are shocked to see what a difference they make! We line dry yearround and try to save electricity everywhere we can. I was thrilled to have an electric bill of only $40 last month!

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Best way to slash electric bill: Don't have electricity! HA! :p

That's my best way to save money--by not having an electric, water, sewer, garbage, gas, cable, internet, or cell phone bill. No mortgage either.

Well, I've got a class full of 7th graders coming in. Better get to work...

Home Maker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think my favorite way is similar to that of Beekissed. I like making something into something else, or revamping and reusing it. Sometimes it may be something from a thrift store or junk pile. A man who works for my father loaded some items onto a burn pile, and I happened to notice my grandfather's huge oak drafting desk on it. I was able to salvage three of the heavy oak legs and other parts, some of which we've used on various furniture projects. I love finding discarded lumber and making raised beds out of it.

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:

That's my best way to save money--by not having an electric, water, sewer, garbage, gas, cable, internet, or cell phone bill. No mortgage either.

Awesome! Would love to hear more about your life!
I am all for getting back to basic, simpler times. (But, I do enjoy my computer!)

me&thegals

Reaction score
mrs.puff said:

How do you get online? I could sure save a ton of time by not going online :D

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am only able to use the computer at the library or when I'm at school substitute teaching, which is what I am doing right now. I love it when the kids are SS!