what jobs work around kids' school hours?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Is there anything you could do, or any leads you could get in touch with at your early years centre? I was in a similar position, (well, not exactly--we just needed extra income for a bit) and I got a lead from my early years center, and became a resource mom for Brighter futures.(which is part of Child and Family services. In my case, I could pick my own hours, and depending on how many clients I had at a given time, my hours varied from 15-30 a week, at a fairly decent (but not great) wage ($14, and that was 8 years ago.) they also paid mileage, as you had to drive to your clients homes.

maybe the centre might need a manager, or a bookkeeper, or maybe someone who frequents the center might own a business that might hire you on your time frame.

Or check with manpower.

Would you be staying in your home, or a new one )sorry if I am assuming)

If your current one, youdid say your house/barn was set up before as a dog boarding facility--so maybe FC has a point on boarding kennels. and maybe pasture boarding some horses/lessons, since I am again assuming based on reading your posts for the last few years, that you have an abundance of horse knowledge. And on that note, I know Uxbridge is quite a horsey place, maybe getting a job at a stable, and if you are up to it, mucking out stalls is usually needed for several hours a day. (there are ads around here for mid morning stall chores, unfortunately not close enough for me to drive to.)

I hope you don't think I am belittling your PhD, i just don't think it is gonna help so much for what you are looking for at this time, other than maybe tutoring.

I'm sorry you are having to go through this. :hugs

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
There are a few places that are online tutoring that (I've heard) pay decently. I have a couple friends with degrees who do it part time to supplement the job we work.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
abifae said:
There are a few places that are online tutoring that (I've heard) pay decently. I have a couple friends with degrees who do it part time to supplement the job we work.
Or you could do what Abi does!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I'm hoping to start supplementing with sewing. I need more skillz but I'm getting there :)

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For right now, you could get seasonal work doing taxes, working in a tax office; if it's a chain-type place, you'll take a test to make sure you're not an idiot, and they'll schedule you around what hours you say you can work. I did that couple years ago.

This year I'm doing it in a different, rural town (and state, for that matter!), so I'm actually having to go with daycare after school, b/c there's just 3 of us between 2 offices. Hopefully, mine will turn into full time book-keeping/data-entry for businesses after tax season. Hope you find something/figure something out.

Also, don't know how close a Chick-Fil-A is to you, but some of them can be real good about working around a Mom's hours.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Alas I do not believe Chick-Fil-A is in Canada (certainly it isn't around here, I would *kill* for a Chick-Fil-A burger right now, I am generally opposed to fast-food chicken but I make an exception for them :p)

This house would be sold if we split up. Not only would it be stupid to keep it but more importantly we can only afford this place, not this place *plus* somewhere for a husband to live separately. My hope would be that, if it should come to my actually doing this, that I could convince my husband to put most of the proceeds from the sale of the house (I mean, net, after paying off the non-huge mortgage amount) into buying free and clear somewhere for me and the kids to live, so we would have only living expenses not *housing* expenses, you know? In exchange for him getting to keep most or all his paychecks for himself. Then he would have the money we are currently paying on the mortgage to get an apartment or whatever. It would not cover a fancy or city apartment, but I doubt he'd care about *that*. I have no idea what he *actually* would or would not agree to, of course.

Thanks very much for the other ideas y'all, some good ones there and more good things to look into!

I hate this, but I at least want to have a realistic sense of what the options may be, you know?

Pat

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
So you and your DH are splitting? I did not "get that" from the initial post :( I'm so sorry :( :( :hugs :hugs

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One thing I have thought about is working at a ski hill. I think the "kids" that work there would work AFTER school, and you could work during the school hours. Summer, obvioulsy the hill would be closed. The only snag would be the weekends. But maybe the kids could go with Dad on the weekends?

Just a thought.