what jobs work around kids' school hours?

sweetproserpina

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you have a pretty good internet connection, you might want to look into being a "search engine quality rater". I worked online for a time as a google quality rater and it was great. I had a minimum number of hours i had to work each week, but could choose when I wanted to work, and how many hours. A uni degree is a pre-requisite, and advanced degrees are a plus :)

I worked for a company called workforcelogic, but just doing a quick search I noticed that leapforce has a canadian position open right now.
http://www.leapforceathome.com/qrp/...ED1BD2AE609098BA351B80246E8F9.lf-prod-03-2209

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I watch 2 other children during the week and have an etsy store where I sell vintage jewelry. I've also made and sold simple costumes for reinactors but that does require sewing skill.

mom2bbjandag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I read a few of the responses but not yet all, but one thing came to mind over and again. When I decided I needed to earn $$ for our family, my mom told me to sit down and make a list of EVERYTHING I enjoy doing.

I started the list and took about a week to allow time to think of all I could... carried the notepad with me everywhere. Next, I went over the list and put a star beside the items that, in addition to enjoying, I am actually good at, and of which I have marketable knowledge. Then, I had my husband go over the list to see what he agreed I'm really good at (we disagreed on a few things ;)); and last, I spoke with several people in our area who I trust, and got their opinions of which of those activities on my list have a local niche.

I wound up with dog groomer, dog boarding, dog training, horse training, ironing, tutoring, writing lesson plans for homeschoolers, and preparing frozen meals. Dog boarding became my primary income (and quite good, I might add) for a few years, and I've slowly transitioned to more writing activities now (and, I'm back in school to get my TN teaching license)... the other things I do as-needed and as requested. A bit of variety, but I enjoy it.

Paula

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Even though you don't enjoy cleaning your own house, it might be kinda neat to clean houses for others, particularly if they are NICE houses. I've always thought it would be fun to have a business where you go into a house, clean it and leave a meal cooked for a busy (and fairly well-off) family. What woman wouldn't like to come home to a clean house and supper ready?
Another job is "home-bound" teacher, for kids that have a medical reason to stay out of school for long periods of time. Where I live, these are usually a regular teacher trying to pick up a few bucks on the side, so it has to be done after school, but you would have an advantage by being able to see the kids during school hours. There have been some good suggestions on this thread.
Of course, if you live in a very rural area, the choices are even more limited:(

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know this many activate the knee jerk reaction of the yawn effect... But an insurance agent may be an option for you. I don't know what it's like up that way, but down here, you take a test, get a license, and get a job.

In this economy, many places are willing to work with licensed part time employees. They need the help, but don't want to pay full time wage. Also, you can set it up where you get commission, and that will put a little money in the kitty.

It's not the most glamorous job on earth, but may work well for you.

I wish you well Pat. I have always enjoyed your well thought out and clear responses and ideas.