What kind of sewing machine do you use?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay, my cheapy walmart singer sewing machine will not work and I am over it. I don't really have the money to go buy a new one but I am trying to figure out what to buy when I do. My mom just bought a bernina 440QE with a stitch regulator so I don't have to have anything fancy. I can always go to her house to finish quilts and do any necessary embroidery projects but I need something that I can do basic sewing and piecing with that won't break the bank but will last.

What type of machine do you guys use? Where did you get it? How much did it set you back?

Thanks everyone....I'm really going through withdrawals.

Lori

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I don't know what kind mine is???

It is some off brand sewing machine that my mom purchased for me from Aldi's several years ago. I don't do anything more than sew up ferret bedding with it, and only straight stitching, so it works out Ok.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't know the brand but will look at it later. My Aunt inherited a sewing machine, bought for around $800! She gave it to me because she already had a good one! How lucky am I? :D Too bad I'm not a good enough seamstress to do it justice! :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a 15 year old singer. Work ok on the basic stuff. I would love a serger but don't want to spend the money on one. I was eyeing the brother machines with the fancy decorator stitching. I think I maygo to my local Vacume and sewing shop and see if he has anything heavy duty. I kinda tweeked my bobbin sewing that plastic feed sack last week. Oops!!! Those german machines I think they are Pfaff (sp) are supposed to be amazing. But they cost dearly.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I have a Brother for regular sewing...wish I had a Viking!!
I have a Baby Loch serger...pictured in my blog...that a lady from church gave me. I use them both a ton because I make clothes for my DD....most of them are also pictured in my blog.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Gee - If I were to break out the sewing machine to sew anything (which I won't) it would be on an old Singer pedal model. No electricity required. Just plain ole straight sewing via foot power.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ohhhhhhhhhh!!!!:bow
Luls, I was given the Husqvarna a few years ago for my birthday, my mum has a Husqvarna Viking Rose, which is like the original embroidery machine with the impossible to learn software lol.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
2dream said:
Gee - If I were to break out the sewing machine to sew anything (which I won't) it would be on an old Singer pedal model. No electricity required. Just plain ole straight sewing via foot power.
I have been keeping my eyes open for a pedal machine. I thought it would be a great resource in my SS storage. My husband think I am just looking for more "stuff".:)

Latest posts