What kind of sewing machine do you use?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
2dream said:
Gee - If I were to break out the sewing machine to sew anything (which I won't) it would be on an old Singer pedal model. No electricity required. Just plain ole straight sewing via foot power.
I have been keeping my eyes open for a pedal machine. I thought it would be a great resource in my SS storage. My husband think I am just looking for more "stuff".:)
Tell your husband that the only thing that breaks on this model is the belt and it can be replaced with a piece of leather. The machine was my grandmothers. My mother used it for years then bought one of those new fangled electric singers. She still has it.
I got my grandmothers machine and actually used it to make my DD clothes with when she was little. She is now 28 - does that tell you how long since it has really been used. I do check it occasionally to make sure everything is oiled and still works and I keep it around just because I may need it someday.

Edited the most obvious spelling errors. Where is Dac when I need him?

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I don't know what kind mine is???

It is some off brand sewing machine that my mom purchased for me from Aldi's several years ago. I don't do anything more than sew up ferret bedding with it, and only straight stitching, so it works out Ok.
my mom has one of these and uses it all the time. I have a 30 year old Kenmore that I bought when I worked in their repair center for $25 when someone didnt pick it up after having it cleaned. it works good but I would like a newer one thats a little less manual.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have a 13 year old, $1200 Singer Quantum that works well for regular sewing but not so good with quilting/stipling because it has a slant needle...so yesterday I went to Walmart and bought a $165 Brother XL3510T that came with additional quilting accessories as a bonus. It seems to be doing okay so far...we will see I guess.
I have been looking at sewing machines lately and from what I have gathered Brother is coming ahead these days. Singer has gone downhill, bought and sold the company too many times and some of the gadgets and addons are really just ridiculous add ons that are serious time wasters...DON'T BUY the newer singer quantums...for instance it comes with a push button needle threader that is quite complicated in it's moving parts...you have to see it to believe it...but it takes so log to thread the needle that you could have done it manually 5 times by the time it is finished.
They have this seriuosly beautiful Brother at our sewing shop right now that embroiders for $699 that I really like but I don't think I'll ever use the embroidery cards anyway.

The bottom line is buy the sewing machine that suits what YOU personally want to do with it. No use paying big money for options you'll never use. The embroidery options are the expensive ones...although impressive I must say:>)
I think these days Huskenvarna (sp?) and Singer are the same company...not positive though but I think that is what I heard.
Anyway if your main focus is quilting, then look for a sewing machine that comes with all the attachments to do exactly that:>) (and make sure it has a straight needle...those slant needles are a real pain to stiple with.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My mil gave me her old Bernina. I am not a great sewer, and I don't really enjoy it, but the machine works well for making curtains, and doing repairs, which reminds me that my hubby has a pair of jeans with the knee blown out of it.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Morel, I think that Brother you bought is the same one I was looking at. Just enough decorative stitches to make me happy.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a Kenmore that cost me about a hundred bucks. I was just looking for something to mend clothes, mainly and that is what I have used it for. It works great for that. It has a few specialty functions, but I have never even looked at them.

When I was growing up, I was taught to sew by hand. So that is mostly what I do now. But for hems and long straight stretches, I like the machine.

Cassandra

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Morel, I think that Brother you bought is the same one I was looking at. Just enough decorative stitches to make me happy.
Yes i have been using it all morning and it seems to work great. It has 35 stitches. It came with a bonus quilting foot and even a walking foot so that is all I needed and it will embroider, but not with cards...the old fashioned way:>) I opted for brother anyway...I was told to stay away from Singer now. Thier old machines are great but not the new ones

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I have a decade-old bottom-of-the-line cheapo White, which is a wonderful workhorse of a machine and I expect it will keep going for the rest of my life. (I probably shouldn't say that where it can hear me, esp. not with a lot of sewing left to do before christmas :p)

I would love to have an old treadle-operated Singer but frankly would have no room to store it anyhow :p

I do a fair amount of my sewing by hand, though... for small projects it is often simpler than dragging out the sewing machine and clearing off a table to put it on.

Pat

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I've been thinking about a brother cause I do want some decorative stitches but not anything where I have to use cards or hook it up to my computer or anything. I wish I could find an older machine that is made of metal parts and not cheapo plastic stuff that breaks at the drop of a hat.

My singer is having tension problems and every time I take it to someone they say "oh, it sewed fine for me" I take it out of the case and don't touch anything....just turn it on and sew and it's still screwed up and I'm out 50 bucks. I'm over it.

I really miss making quilts and I have a ton of bags that I want to make....I'm seriously having withdrawals.

Thanks everyone,

Lori

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use an 1890 White treadle machine. Works like a dream, though I have to say I don't often use the "tucker" attachments.

Electronics at Walmart...they contract with "name" manufacturers for the cheaped out versions of "real" product to sell in their stores.