What kind of sewing machine do you use?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I have a Babylock Esante - cost-a-lot, used our tax refund about 4 years ago to buy it. Coughed up and bought the Babylock Evolve as well. :hide

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Dmil left me her machine in her will, she taught me how to make a set of scrubs on it for ds#1. So it has sentimental value to me that makes it irreplacable. It is a singer she got at Walmart about 3-4 yrs before she passed away. I am about to start it's Christmas workout next week.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use my hands. I've made whole quilts with nothin' but elbow grease. I wish I had a treadle though. I met a guy once at a flea market who sewed quilts out of upholstery fabric using a treadle. He found it was the only thing that he could get to go through the fabric.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My parents had my grandmothers treadle singer machine when I was a kid. Then when we moved here to Az it got left behind accidently. I am trying to find out from a cousin if he knows if his dad got it when he went to pick up some things my mom left for him. If so I would love to know what happened to it. I wish I had it now that is for sure.(my dads moms machine).

I also have a small battery operated machine too. I like to take it with us to our property as we have no elec up there.

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have an older Kenmore that serves me well. Also, an older Singer that needs fixing. I like them both.

I would like a new one with quilting features, but that is on the "dream list" so maybe one day.

I did bring home a Brother about 4 years ago. It had many features that I wanted. It ran smooth and quiet. But, I had a terrible time threading it. It was so frustrating that after a couple of days, I returned it.

morel, I'd be very interested in your opinions on your new Brother machine as you sew and quilt. That might be in my price range.

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
I use my hands. I've made whole quilts with nothin' but elbow grease. I wish I had a treadle though. I met a guy once at a flea market who sewed quilts out of upholstery fabric using a treadle. He found it was the only thing that he could get to go through the fabric.
I had a similar experience many moons ago. Remember the Frostline kits (vests, tents, backpacks, etc) that were popular in the 70's? I made a rip-stop down vest and my electric machine at the time couldn't go through it. My 1890 White Treadle made short work of it, though.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well I returned the sewing machine I bought from Walmart...it decided to start giving me a hard time...and then I was told never to buy a sewing machine from Walmart, they are made with the chaepest parts available and you will be lucky to get 6 months use out of them. I went to a sewing shop and bought a fairly good one instead. It's a Brother NS-80.
I had to order it, they were all sold out...but it was on sale for $499...$200 off reg price should have bought it a few weeks ago instead of even trying the walmart one...but now I will have to wait until mid Jan to sew again....what in the world am i going to do until then? I will have a REAL spotless house and probably be on here alot:>) LOL