What kind of wood do you burn?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
cool woodshed and well stocked!
'seems' like beautiful scenery from what I can see in the pic?

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use about any kind I can get my hands on as well. I currently have some oak, poplar, dogwood, magnolia, chinaberry and chinese privet bush. I know it sounds crazy to burn bush wood but those privets get thick and I had to remove them anyway. They burn good and hot.

There is enough oak, pecan, poplar and hickory laying in the woods for the grabbing here to keep me in wood for years. I need to get that darned chainsaw right.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
being we are all trying to be more self sufficient what is wrong with your saw 1acre maybe someone can lend some info to try to help. a chainsaw is an essential piece of the self efficient puzzle I think.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
My preference is oak and hickory. I love the smell of hickory.

I will burn whatever I get. I'm in the process of cleaning up storm damage. Offhand there is oak, ash, elm, sassafras (really lightweight stuff without many BTUs), hackberry, cherry, eastern red cedar.

When I lived in New Mexico we usually burned juniper and pinyon. Pinyon smells great. There I also burned whatever I could get, even Ponderosa Pine that I got for free from right of way clearing.

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
firem3 said:
being we are all trying to be more self sufficient what is wrong with your saw 1acre maybe someone can lend some info to try to help. a chainsaw is an essential piece of the self efficient puzzle I think.
One thing that is wrong with the saw is it has poulan written on it. The rope does not always spring back like it should so I gotta clean some sawdust out of the spring area to fix that. I also need to buy a new chain but that has to wait for now.

redoak

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've cut 35 face cord so far this year for our house and my mom's house. I have a Jonsered 2150, a wheelbarrow and a splitting maul. I've mostly cut sugar maple, red elm, beech, ironwood, black cherry and yellow birch.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
1acrefarm said:
firem3 said:
One thing that is wrong with the saw is it has poulan written on it. The rope does not always spring back like it should so I gotta clean some sawdust out of the spring area to fix that. I also need to buy a new chain but that has to wait for now.
id just save up and get a GOOD Stihl. the model 290 farm boss is a great all around saw with an 18 inch bar.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
redoak said:
I've cut 35 face cord so far this year for our house and my mom's house. I have a Jonsered 2150, a wheelbarrow and a splitting maul. I've mostly cut sugar maple, red elm, beech, ironwood, black cherry and yellow birch.
how does iron wood split? we have alot of wild cherry here and its like spliting a piece of lead, it doesnt split clean like hickory or oak.

Seahound

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We heat our home by woodstove and we burn hardwood ,mostly oak.
We dont buy it we rather come across it by storm s or Jons landscape friend. Woods really expensive around here about 375 to 400 a cord here !! Argh !!

Luckily we have a splitter !!

redoak

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
how does iron wood split
The ironwood doesn't get much bigger then 12 inches at DBH. So I don't have to split many pieces per tree. The wood is very hard but it's straight grained so it splits easier then you'd think.