What line of work are you in?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I had friends like that...had. We were friends in high school but our paths diverged shortly thereafter. I got married, had kids, got divorced, had to return to the work force.

Now, when I had little ones and a job, they were all gung-ho to get together for little lunches, late night gab-fests at theirs, or my, home, 2 hr. phone calls for emotional support for the break-up with this or that boyfriend. All of these things I did, taking precious time away from my kids to do so, because I felt it was important to maintain some semblance of a life that didn't involve diapers and work-related stress.

Flash forward 10 years to the time when they finally decide to settle down and get a family started. All the sudden, lunches had to have screaming, whining children at them, which, of course, cut short the time spent talking and catching up. Phone calls were rarely, if ever, returned and always with the statement, "You never call me anymore!" from people who haven't been the first to place a call in the past 10 years. The phone calls then degenerated into "I just don't have time anymore with the kids and everything" type conversations. Our, now only yearly, luncheon just couldn't be coordinated anymore with their busy schedules....both stay at home moms.

I managed to maintain and do most of the work on these relationships with 3 young children and usually 2 jobs, or school and a job, and they can't manage one lunch a year with no job and 1 child each with a husband for financial and child-care support? That's a bit much! It all comes down to priorities, I guess.

Flash forward another 10 years: I got a call the other day from one of these "friends" saying she just doesn't have any friends anymore and that we should really try to "stay in touch" because its just so hard to find friends these days, etc. Laughable, really. :rolleyes:

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Was a nurse & preschool teacher. Was a private care for dmil until she passed away & now I am "just" a sahm who homeschools & takes care of the garden & animals. Ah the life of luxury to sit around on the sofa all day eatting bon bons & watching soaps!! Ha HA HA

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have worked for Dept Natural Resources-fisheries
Dept Natural Resources-fire div
Clean motel rooms-front desk cler
Worked in kitchen in hospital
Was a phlebotomist-loved it
Was Admitting clerk in hosp.
Got diagnosed with MS
Am Switchboard Operator at hosp.
I feel I can do anything I put my mind to. My husband worked Christmas tree trimmer
Car detailer at local dealership
Truck driver
Louisiana Pacific
Carpenter
Metal shop molding car parts
We have totally remodeled the inside of our 110 yr old house, ourselves. Electrical, plumbing, heating, walls etc. Saved a lot of money that way. :)

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
roosmom said:
Have worked for Dept Natural Resources-fisheries
Dept Natural Resources-fire div
Clean motel rooms-front desk cler
Worked in kitchen in hospital
Was a phlebotomist-loved it
Was Admitting clerk in hosp.
Got diagnosed with MS
Am Switchboard Operator at hosp.
I feel I can do anything I put my mind to. My husband worked Christmas tree trimmer
Car detailer at local dealership
Truck driver
Louisiana Pacific
Carpenter
Metal shop molding car parts
We have totally remodeled the inside of our 110 yr old house, ourselves. Electrical, plumbing, heating, walls etc. Saved a lot of money that way. :)
Did you live in the U.P. the whole time? We were just up there this past weekend for work, and we were wondering how the job situation is up there, vs lower peninsula/Northern MI. Where are you? We were wondering if closer to WI would have more job opps? Not that I want to move again, but it was just so beautiful up there! Where are you?

nc chicken man

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everybody my name is Aaron I live in mt.Pleasant NC and I am a brickmason i sell eggs raise pasture broilers,pasture turkeys and we sell beef too.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
firefighter at Birmingham International Airport and retired master plumber

Latest posts