What line of work are you in?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi NC Chicken Man
I am NC too, near Hickory. Welcome to the forum!

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi! I am a former:
Inspector of control systems for power plants

Inspector of explosives (detonators, shock tube, det cord ect)

Electric motor wireman

Chip and wafer tester for computer components

Packaging line worker for a pharma company

Currently unemployed. Not by choice at first (lay off due to a plant closing), but I have found so much to do here at home, I may never go back to work! I don't know how I was able to work, for14 years, all night and then come home and do the housewife type things. I then would try to get a few hours of sleep before starting the routine all over again. I have now found that we do not need all the things we thought we needed. I wish I could convince my DH this.

Ellie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am the director of a local blood center and have been there for 20 years. I also teach at the local college.

Ellie

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Arborist for 25 yrs
335_stormdamagejune2007_0111.jpg

Taking a tree off a clients house
335_stormdamagejune2007_0401.jpg

Me on the roof in the final stages of the project

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nice pics Uncle Joe,

Spent most of my adult life cooking and climbing trees,
Still do a little climbing and a lot of cooking.

Now I'm an English teacher.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
johnElarue said:
Nice pics Uncle Joe,

Participating in forums must be mildly frustrating for you, John. Is all the poor spelling and punctuation an irritation for someone in your profession? :D

Love your sig line, BTW! I find myself looking at another man's woodpile with envy.... ;)

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Participating in forums must be mildly frustrating for you, John. Is all the poor spelling and punctuation an irritation for someone in your profession? :D
Not at all, this is my down time, insteada watchin TV, besides I teach mostly English conversation. I'll be the one of the worst offenders here doncha worry, oops there goes my carefully hidden New Joisey accent again!

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
johnElarue said:
Nice pics Uncle Joe,

Thanks. It was actually the homeowner that took all the photos. He emailed me about 20 of them. I have my own photos in other threads. My avatar is my own, taken at the beginning of the Feb. 08 lunar eclipse.
The other end of the yellow strap in the second pic is attached to a 40 ton crane. When it lifted the log off the stump, the log ( a tulip poplar) weighed in at 6800 lbs. We spent 7 hrs stripping it apart and getting it off the house.

scrambledmess

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am a part time Emergency Room nurse. I love my job! LOVE IT! I almost wish I could be working full time. Unfortunately, I am not young enough, anymore, to work that job full time. It really can be draining, both physically and emotionally.

I am also a homeschooling mama. I work weekends and school through the week. We are just now taking the long road to self-sufficiency. We are hoping to provide for our family and to teach our children hard work, family and morals ;)