What recommended wastefullness do you avoid?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
I got Trader Joe's brand castille soap and wouldn't recommend it for shampoo. Dunno about the other brand though. Just watch out for added glycerin, as it makes you hair greaser, faster. I got the one I like online, and use 1/4 cup castille soap to 1 cup water. I don't add anything else, and it works just fine. http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bathbody/body.html Again, I don't know about the Dr. Bronner's brand.

Lonelilly, mine is unscented! Does yours smell like peppermint? I didn't care for that smell on my head.

Anyway, I love my new routine. Castille soap, and ACV rinse! :love
Thanks for working out the kinks for me! So ACV rince hua? Do you have to use the ACV with the "mother" for rince or can you use the cheaper ACV w/o the mother? The "mother" ACV is kinda expensive (I'm making my own next fall.) and I only use it for ingesting and for my chickens.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Big Brown Horse- I'm using the cheapest ACV possible right now. I heard that you can buy some with the mother, and add it to regular ACV and it grows or something?! I dilute it by half with water. Right now I'm using plain water, but next time I'm going brew some chamomile tea in the water. After I already used the tea bag for a cup for myself, of course. And I tried to just dump it over my head, but I found that I didn't get all of my hair. Castille soap tends to leave a residue over time, and the vinegar removes it. So I use a spray bottle. I get all of my head, and at the same time use less. (consider how much you use when dumping on your head)

I did have a transition with semi-yucky hair, but I'm past that now, and my hair feels softer than ever. I think it shines more, too. Oh, and I only wash it every other day.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Well, about a month ago my new hair stylist suggested (I had an oily hair problem, so I washed everyday) that I only wash twice a week...:ep <--was my responce. He told me I was washing too much and my hair was out of wack. I did what he told me and now I only wash 3 times a week. (Baby steps!) I would rince the heck out of it though with hot water while I was in the shower. I have already gone through the ugly transformation and last week started to dump white vinegar on in between washes. It worked fine. I like your spray bottle method...good idea! I didn't dilute either, so I smelled pickels when the wind picked up :lol:.

Thanks for the information!!! I'll switch to ACV and use the cheaper version. But you did give me an idea about using the mother form one ACV to form a mother in the cheaper stuff...I'm going to try it!! (Perhaps I'll keep it in a dark place while it transforms.)

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The commercial shampoo that most people use has this really harsh cleaner that strips hair of natural (good!) oils. And I used to wash my hair every single day! So then your scalp over-produces oil to compensate, and you get out of wack. (From what I understand, I bet that's what your stylist said)

And as the summer gets hotter, I turn the water to ice cold right before I turn it off. The cold somehow makes hair shinier.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Commercial shampoo is a detergent made from petroleum products, that is why it strips our hair so badly. The same thing as commercial "soaps" - which are really detergent bath bars - does to our skin.

As I have said before I have not braved giving up the shampoo yet. (I am on my way, however... summer vacation starts soon and it will be tried then) I do only use my homemade soaps now for bath and hand washing. It is amazing the difference on my skin!