What recommended wastefullness do you avoid?

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For most things, I do not preheat my electric oven. I've never noticed a difference in the quality of the food. For something that has a very short bake time, such as cookies, I go ahead and preheat.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
When we were first married without a dishwasher, my husband and I shared a cup and utensils and ate right out of the pans :) Now we're a bit more civilized.
A friend of mind went over to see his neighbor about something, and he got there when they were eating supper. They invited him in, and he waited in the other room until they were finished; however, he couldn't help but notice that nobody at the table used a plate. When each bowl of food was passed, each person took their helping and put the food right on the table in front of them. In other words, they all ate directly off the table. Those present were Dad, Mom, and 4 kids. After the meal, the table was cleared and scrubbed spic and span. :pop

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
May I assume that they weren't having soup?

Reaction score
Tallman said:
me&thegals said:
When we were first married without a dishwasher, my husband and I shared a cup and utensils and ate right out of the pans :) Now we're a bit more civilized.
A friend of mind went over to see his neighbor about something, and he got there when they were eating supper. They invited him in, and he waited in the other room until they were finished; however, he couldn't help but notice that nobody at the table used a plate. When each bowl of food was passed, each person took their helping and put the food right on the table in front of them. In other words, they all ate directly off the table. Those present were Dad, Mom, and 4 kids. After the meal, the table was cleared and scrubbed spic and span. :pop
That seems a little extreme. It would be fun to watch though.

Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
Yay, it's not just me! I was talking to a lady the other day... She told me about some monks (I think) that very carefully eat everything on their plate, then rinse their dishes, collect the water and DRINK it. It sounds horrible to me, but those monks know EXACTLY how much resources they use.
That's GROSS.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
This reminds me of those dinners where you dump spaghetti, meatballs and sauce on the tablecloth (plastic!) and give your friends utensils to eat it with--maybe a measuring cup, tongs, spoon, whatever :)

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
When I don't hang out our laundry, I spray a few spritzes of fabric softener on a cleaning rag and toss in dryer instead of softener sheets. I use a lot less softener this way. Granted, I don't use softener in the washer at all, so most of the time my laundry gets none.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Years ago my friend was visiting from across the country with her 2 children; the younger was 15 months old, and still in diapers. My friend bought a box of fabric softener sheets for when she washed the diapers while on the trip, and left the almost full box with me when they went home. That little girl will turn 18 (years) tomorrow, and I still have that box of fabric sheets (I know it is the same box because I have never, and would never, buy any myself :) ) I only use them for thngs that get static-y, like socks and underware, and tend to use them more than once - I've got a pretty little basket in the laundry room where the used ones go until the next load that might benifit from them. I started by cutting them in half, and then in quarters, and now in eighths, and find that they do the job just fine (for me, anyway). In summer I hang out my laundry, so I probably only use a sheet or two all year (even with the socks I sometimes forget :lol: ). When (if) I ever get to the end of this box I won't buy any more; for me personally the dryer itself does a perfectly adequate job of softening, though sometimes I put vinegar in the rinse cycle of the wash, especially when the clothes will be line dried.