What recommended wastefullness do you avoid?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I haven't put in the amount of water recommended on the box when making pasta- I usually use 1/2 or even less. I have never noticed any problem with it getting properly cooked so why waste the energy and water to heat more than is needed.

Same with toothpaste- I use a third of is recommended on the box.

Where do you all save?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Now that you mention it I don't add butter or milk to boxed mac and cheese but add small amount of sour cream instead.
Directions I read as suggestions. :p

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I use a fraction of the amount of laundry detergent that is recommended -- occasionally none at all.

Ditto with shampoo and toothpaste.

Also, some people may be grossed out, but unless I've been doing something sweaty I may go 5 or 6 days between showers. (More in the winter than in the summer of course).

Now that you mention it it's actually never occurred to me to look at what the pasta box says about how much water to use. I just use, you know, "enough" water, like enough to cover the pasta once it's put in by maybe 2" or so. Occasionally I err on the too-little side, mostly with thicker slower-cooking pasta, and it gets a tad gummy, but oh well, spaghetti sauce covers a multitude of sins :p

Pat

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I really don't have anything to contribute, sorry! I think I am the most wasteful person on this site!!!;)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was in town a few months ago, and at the Family Dollar, I found these great large plastic bowls. These things are HUGH, and only paid $1.00 each for them. The fit just inside the kitchen sink, and I use them to run dish water, and rinse water in. I can do a pretty good load of dishes with one bowl full, and when I dump it out, it equals about 1/3 a sink of water. :idunno Seems I can save on water, and dish soap this way. I then take the bowl of rinse water, and use it on the plants, when needed. Waste not want not!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I use a fraction of the amount of laundry detergent that is recommended -- occasionally none at all.

Also, some people may be grossed out, but unless I've been doing something sweaty I may go 5 or 6 days between showers. (More in the winter than in the summer of course).

Pat
I too only use a fraction of laundry detergent recommened even on my homemade detergent and occasionally none at all just to make sure that all residue of detergent is gone from the clothes.

As for the showers - amen - unless I am doing dirty work I can go for several days without taking a shower. And like you summer time demands more shower usage but winter time who cares.

I break down boxes that must go into the trash to take up less room, any plactic bottles that must go into the trash (we do not have a recycle system here) are all stomped flat and any cans are crushed. I use less garbage bags this way. I also use pet food and chicken feed bags as garbage bags whenever I empty one.

However, I waste water like crazy - my whole family does. And I don't see that changing. DH would kill me if I said anything about his water usage.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Like dac, I don't rinse & repeat and don't use the recommended amount in the first place.

Also, use other things for trashbags like 2dream.

Skimp on detergents, too. If I use a dryer sheet, I use it 3-4 times.

Cut back on ground beef and meat for manwiches, hamburger helper, soups, stews, etc.

But, sorry. I can't stand to skip more than a day for showers. But, I will let the dogs go without one for a couple of months.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hmmm...this is kinda hard to answer in a way...LOL

I do take showers everyday and I would never short that one....sometimes 2 if working with hogs.

I do follow directions on boxed foods, cause if I don't they come out miserable for some reason...even if I do follow them, I can ruin them.

But I also do like ya'll do---I use smaller amts. of detergent, I do cut up my dyer sheets into 4 pieces and use 1 small when I need it, I do use less dish detergent cause I water it down a bit.

I never read directions on toothpaste in my life.

I am sure I use "less" then recommended on many items but I don't have a clue what they are to list them.....:hu