what to do with a LOT of mint?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Here's an excellent one! If you don't have an ice cream maker, just dump in a glass bowl in the freezer and scrape and stir occasionally. It calls for 3/4 cup, but I absolutely pack a full cup of mint leaves. You can't have too much mint, in my opinion. It's also excellent sprinkled with mini choc. chips.

Mint Ice Creambhg.com
2 cups whipping cream
2/3 cup sugar
-1 cup fresh mint or basil
1 cup whole milk

In a medium saucepan, combine cream, sugar and leaves. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture just begins to boil. Remove from heat; cover; steep for 1 hour. Strain, discarding mint leaves. Add milk to infused cream mixture. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight, until mixture is completely chilled. Freezer according to ice cream manufacturer instructions.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Here's an excellent one! If you don't have an ice cream maker, just dump in a glass bowl in the freezer and scrape and stir occasionally. It calls for 3/4 cup, but I absolutely pack a full cup of mint leaves. You can't have too much mint, in my opinion. It's also excellent sprinkled with mini choc. chips.

Mint Ice Creambhg.com
2 cups whipping cream
2/3 cup sugar
-1 cup fresh mint or basil
1 cup whole milk

In a medium saucepan, combine cream, sugar and leaves. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture just begins to boil. Remove from heat; cover; steep for 1 hour. Strain, discarding mint leaves. Add milk to infused cream mixture. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight, until mixture is completely chilled. Freezer according to ice cream manufacturer instructions.
Oh NO you didn't just go there!!!!! YUM!! :drool

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OOOOO, thanks, me&!!! If I could just figure out who/what is eating my mint....everyone says mint will take over....I can't get it to grow!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
freemotion said:
OOOOO, thanks, me&!!! If I could just figure out who/what is eating my mint....everyone says mint will take over....I can't get it to grow!
Be thankful you can't get it to grow. My "X" wife planted spearmint and peppermint in a flower bed on the north side of the house. That was 17 or 18 years ago and I am STILL trying to kill that darn stuff off!!!

That mint ice cream sure sounds tempting!!!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I had oregano that took over the slope behind my garage that is now the veggie garden. It tooks us years to get it to go away. My mint is in a whiskey barrel. I have to trim it back so that it doesn't reach the ground and set root! I have a small patch of chocolate mint in the veggie garden that so far has stuck to a pathway. I've never had luck with catnip, unless you count enticing every cat in the neighborhood into my garden, which they then used as their litterbox..... gag. They ate the stuff to the ground~

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You know no one around here had ever heard of mint jelly and refused to try it when I made it. They looked at me like I was nuts! Then told me that sounded like it would be nasty. My dh and kids ate it though. We have mountain mint at our place. It is a wild mint that is very stong flavored. Great for jelly though. There is absolutely NO mistaking it if you find it!