what to do with a LOT of mint?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Although I love mint with lamb I have never liked the mint jelly that is served with it in America. Thanks to my anglophile parents I learned to like the mint sauce as made in England (Canada/Australia/Ireland etc.) I usually make this fresh, but once when traveling I mixed up the mint (from my garden) and vinegar before leaving home, and added the sugar once reaching my brother's home. Worked very well, and makes me think that storing some mint in vinegar would be a good idea.

Mint Sauce -

1/2 cup spearmint leaves, minced
1 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar

Bring ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan; remove from heat and allow to cool. Serve (at room temp. or slightly warmer) with lamb.

Re: Catnip - a trick I learned from a herb lady at the farmers' market was to put a cage over planted catnip - she, and now I, used the wire basket meant to be lined with moss, and planted up to be hung as a flowering basket. She used it to cover her mixed herb planters; I just put one over the catnip plant in the garden, with wire staples to keep it from being pulled away. The cats can nibble and roll to their hearts' content, but cannot reach the base of the plant to kill it. If the cats allow the plant will grow through the cage, and cover and hide it.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Good tip. Just doesn't solve the poop in the garden issue unfortunately. Thanks for the recipe! I don't care for lamb myself but I bet that would taste good on other things as well! :D

grandma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Although I love mint with lamb I have never liked the mint jelly that is served with it in America. Thanks to my anglophile parents I learned to like the mint sauce as made in England (Canada/Australia/Ireland etc.) I usually make this fresh, but once when traveling I mixed up the mint (from my garden) and vinegar before leaving home, and added the sugar once reaching my brother's home. Worked very well, and makes me think that storing some mint in vinegar would be a good idea.

Mint Sauce -

1/2 cup spearmint leaves, minced
1 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar

Bring ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan; remove from heat and allow to cool. Serve (at room temp. or slightly warmer) with lamb.

Re: Catnip - a trick I learned from a herb lady at the farmers' market was to put a cage over planted catnip - she, and now I, used the wire basket meant to be lined with moss, and planted up to be hung as a flowering basket. She used it to cover her mixed herb planters; I just put one over the catnip plant in the garden, with wire staples to keep it from being pulled away. The cats can nibble and roll to their hearts' content, but cannot reach the base of the plant to kill it. If the cats allow the plant will grow through the cage, and cover and hide it.
Have to agree...I learned to like mint sauce with lamb while living in England. I have chocolate, orange, and other mints growing, but unfortunately they've all grown together so now I just use whatever is near when I want some.

And if you eat pork, it goes well with that, too.

prism

Power Conserver
Reaction score
One year I made mint wine that was very interesting. If anyone is interested, I'll try to dig up the recipe.

Otherwise, we dry it for hot tea in the winter.

It doesn't use up much (couple tablespoons minced) but I love it in tabbouleh. I don't usually see mint in most tabbouleh recipes but the first I ever had included mint. I won't even make it if I don't have some mint available. It tastes like something is missing.

Love the recipe for mint ice cream that was posted! I never thought to make ice cream with my mint! Will have to try it!