what to do with a LOT of mint?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Catnip has become the bane of my existance....after multiflora!
Yeah, gotta love that multiflora rose. :barnie It's what's getting me torn up even worse than the blackberries I'm picking in the woods! That stuff is nasty.

As for the ice cream, it is worth a try. Very simple. I chop the mint up pretty good to really release as much minty flavor as possible. Did I mention that I use chocolate mint? Mmmmmmm....

me&thegals

Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
You know no one around here had ever heard of mint jelly and refused to try it when I made it. They looked at me like I was nuts! Then told me that sounded like it would be nasty. My dh and kids ate it though. We have mountain mint at our place. It is a wild mint that is very stong flavored. Great for jelly though. There is absolutely NO mistaking it if you find it!
That mountain mint sounds intriguing! Do you have a great jelly recipe? The last one I had used apple juice, if I remember correctly, and was NOT great. I have yet to make a really great mint jelly, which I remember having sometime in my childhood and enjoying.

Mint jelly recipes, anyone?

Another way I use about 2 cups per week: I put about 4 large sprigs in every glass of iced tea I drink. Boy--I really miss that flavor in winter!

Here's one more that I really enjoy during blackberry season:

Black Raspberry/blackberry TeaThis tea has a wonderful color and flavor. Its a great summer treat with a minty refreshing aftertaste. Enjoy!

6 tea bags
4 cups boiling water
3 cups black raspberries/blackberries
pinch of baking soda (to preserve color)
-1 cup sugar (recipe actually calls for 1-, but I found this a bit too sweet)
2-1/2 cups cold water
cup chopped mint leaves (or more :))

Mash berries. Mix berries, sugar, mint and soda. Make tea with tea bags and boiling water. Let steep 3 minutes (or longer). Remove tea bags and squeeze dry. Add fruit and tea together and let sit for 1 hour. Strain. Add 2-1/2 cups cold water to tea mixture.

Some years I freeze up batches of this to enjoy after berry season.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used the one one the pectin packet insert. It turned out pretty good, but used a LOT of sugar. that tea sounds really good, too bad I missed the blackberry season. I was working and didn't have time to get them before the birds.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
I've never had luck with catnip, unless you count enticing every cat in the neighborhood into my garden, which they then used as their litterbox..... gag. They ate the stuff to the ground~
Never, and I mean NEVER, accept free cucumbers from a cat person, unless you FIRST find out WHERE they dump the litter box. :sick

At least the warning came BEFORE we tried to eat them......You could smell the cat urine the instant you sliced them open. :sick :sick :sick

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Another way I use about 2 cups per week: I put about 4 large sprigs in every glass of iced tea I drink. Boy--I really miss that flavor in winter!
If you have a sunny windowsill, you can force mint, you know. Pot some up in fall (I suggest multiple pots) and leave it outside til the vegetation dies back and the pot is frozen. Then put it somewhere cold where it will not get to, like, -40 F but where it will stay distinctinly frozen. Then you can bring a pot into the house, let it thaw, put it on a sunny windowsill and get it growing again and ahve fresh mint for a while. It will poop out eventually -- I'm not going to forecast how long it'll last, depends on too many factors -- but then you can just bring *another* pot in from the garage and warm *it* up, and so on and so on.

Have fun,

Pat

me&thegals

Reaction score
I should try :) I haven't had luck with indoor herbs so far, as all our southern exposures are either blocked by our garage or shadowed by our front porch. But, I could at least try mint, which doesn't seem to need excessive light during its summer life.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Henrietta23 said:
I've never had luck with catnip, unless you count enticing every cat in the neighborhood into my garden, which they then used as their litterbox..... gag. They ate the stuff to the ground~
Never, and I mean NEVER, accept free cucumbers from a cat person, unless you FIRST find out WHERE they dump the litter box. :sick

At least the warning came BEFORE we tried to eat them......You could smell the cat urine the instant you sliced them open. :sick :sick :sick
Now there's a tip that will remain with me always.... :p :lol:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I should try :) I haven't had luck with indoor herbs so far, as all our southern exposures are either blocked by our garage or shadowed by our front porch. But, I could at least try mint, which doesn't seem to need excessive light during its summer life.
I am planning to bring some inside this winter. My sliding glass door faces south and gets lots of sun. It's shaded by an awning this time of year. Usually any plants I try to keep there get nibbled on by one of the cats. If he hates the mint as much as the puppy does I'm all set.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Catnip has even made it a couple hundred feet from where I planted it into my pasture. We live on a very busy road, and there is quite a bit of coyote activity in the back, so cats don't last more than a few days if they are allowed....or escape....outside.

So no catbox issues, but also no cats stealing the catnip!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Catnip has even made it a couple hundred feet from where I planted it into my pasture. We live on a very busy road, and there is quite a bit of coyote activity in the back, so cats don't last more than a few days if they are allowed....or escape....outside.

So no catbox issues, but also no cats stealing the catnip!
That'll do it!
I'm sure I've read cat litter should never be used in gardens where food is grown or placed in compost bins??? For reasons other than urine scented cukes!