What to do with all that milk!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Started another batch of Chevre last night. I use fresh milk, right outta the goat. I put 8 cups into a nice flat pan....I dunno why, it's just the way I do it, lol.

chevre1.JPG

Then I add a little bit (1/8th tsp) of this:

chevre 2.JPG chevre 3.JPG

Then a TINY bit of a drop of rennet. chevre 4.JPG Recipe calls for about 1/4 of a drop - but I don't worry about dividing that drop anymore. I just drop a drop in it and call it good.

Cover it and set it aside for 18-24 hours.

chevre 5.JPG

All that's left is to hope it separates and solidifies, drain it (save that whey for the pigs or the dogs) then hang it to finish drying, add a little salt and whatever seasoning you like and devour it! I'll try to get pics of that, but it's all pretty easy from there.

Roasted garlic and rosemary is by far our favorite, but even just salted is great. I really should branch out to some other flavors.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well -- you will need to do better with what "THIS" is that you use 1/8 th tsp of...:hide It's some culture -- but, I can't decide what.

:lol::caf

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Had a little more to do to complete the cheese.

It set up like it was supposed to. This pic is the solids and whey. chevre_1.JPG

Poured most of the whey off and this is what's left:

chevre_ 2.JPG

Poured it into a colander lined with cheesecloth and hung it to drain. It's not glamorous, I just tie it to one of the upper cabinet handles and let it drain overnight.
chevre 4.JPG

Tomorrow I need to decide if I want to flavor it or maybe just salt it and leave it simple.

Gonna go eat some of the previous batch of garlic/rosemary chevre with some crackers and veggies for my dinner.

This is seriously the easiest thing EVER to make. Literally takes about 2 minutes of actual prep and the rest is just drain and hang then flavor it.

I may try to get some different cultures and get a little more adventurous....eventually!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was shocked when I learned how to make it just how simple it was! I made sea salt and dill a lot, that was yummy! Now I'm craving chevre... Mmm

Do you always use vegetable rennet? I've heard vegetable and animal act a little differently, just curious!

Is that link where you get all your supplies? I bought a bunch from New England Cheesemaking Company but I thought it was kind of expensive. Maybe that's just me being cheap, lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you always use vegetable rennet?
It's all I've ever used. Not any kind of "statement" or anything, that's just what the first recipe I ever used called for so I've used it since then. I do use that site for my supplies only because I learned to make this from the Fiasco Farm website, and that's who they link to.

@baymule - it is so very simple to make and the pay off is absolutely delish! I'll try to remember to post a 'finished product' pic tomorrow. Or I might just eat it before I get the pic taken, lol!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
FEM, that does look and sound very simple and greatly rewarding! I'm going to have to find some proper milk somewhere, so I can try this...

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my! I sure do wish I had fresh milk. I really love the taste of goat cheese from the store. The family thinks it's a little sharp but yummmm. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm loving all the extra milk - and only mildly stressed that I've got so much! Think I'll try mozzarella tomorrow. Oh, and I made cottage cheese! So simple that I didn't even take pics. Let the milk set out overnight until it's kinda thick. Heat it up. One recipe said to go to 185 degrees another said 120. So, I warmed it to about 125-130. Turn the heat off and add a tablespoon of vinegar for 1/2 gallon of milk. Give it a couple minutes and then give it a stir to break up whatever curds are forming. Then I cover it and walk away. Come back in an hour or so and strain it. It's so good! I took some cream off the top of a couple other jars of milk and spooned it into the cottage cheese. OMG - it's so good and tastes so fresh.

Might try mozzarella tomorrow.

Latest posts