What to Do With Fabric

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i cut up old tshirts for rags. old jeans cut into @ 6-8" squares and 3-4 layers (sewn) make good potholders. (i have a friend with an industrial sewing machine) and a friend of ours collected harley davidson tshirts cut the fronts out and made my husband a quilt. i thought if i ever have a grand baby it would be neat to make a quilt with disney pic shirts.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh ya! I forgot about dog toys.

I would take a heavy t-shirt, roll it up tightly and cover it with duct tape. The dogs loved it. I did learn the hard way that you don't want to use el cheapo tape for something like this. Other times I would just take a piece of t-shirt and knot it randomly.

Love the denim idea. I bet my dogs would, too.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Make rolls, stuff them with fabric scraps and use them to block drafts in your windows. You will want to measure your windows ahead of time so they fit.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have you ever seen heavy braided rugs? You use the sturdiest rags for the outside of the three rolls that are braided together and you can use worn-out or ugly rags to stuff the rolls [important that all three rolls be uniform] then the rolls are flat braided coiled [circle or rounded rectangle] and sown with HEAVY thread as the coil grows. I have one my grandmother made at night while listening to the radio that is how old it is. ~gd

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've always wanted t make one of those-or several and sell them. I have the instructions somewhere, just never had the time to do it. :(

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have an old coverlet that my FIL made out of discarded mens' suits. It is very heavy, and rather ugly, frankly. But I bet it would really keep a person warm. He was a dry cleaner, and altered suits for people. He thought nothing of putting new cuffs on, new zippers in anything, shortening sleeves, etc. Now that he is 95 and not able to sew, when I mend something for him, he has a critical eye, but is usually satisfied. :)

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Funny you should mention quilts made from suites. My grandmother on my dad's side made them. I had one that was all wool suite and blanket pieces on the the top then a worn heavy cotton blanket for the "batting", then old, heavy cotton drapes for the backing. The thing weighed a ton but it was very, very warm! I took it on a winter sleep over (as a kid) one time. Some of the kids were still cold in their sleeping bags.... I had to keep a little "crack" open under my quilt because I was over heating!

My son has advanced MS and it's hard finding useful things he can do. I'm going to teach him how to make Rag Rugs after Christmas. I can do 4 types so I think we can find one he can do, even if I have to help with some parts.

Oh, and I can relate to that "perfectionist eye" All the woman on my mother's side were like that (and my mother was a seamstress) so learning to sew, knit, crochet. or any other needle work meant allot of ripping too! You should see my mending though.... well, try to ;)

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I was just wondering if anyone has any good ideas to recycle old clothing and fabric. I have made rag rugs, used old shirts to make various other clothes, made doll clothes, cut them up for patchwork pillows and throws. I have seen people use old jeans to make purses. Of course, use in animal beds and the cotton ones for all purpose polishing and scrub rags. I make stuffed animals out of socks. What else? There has got to be a goldmine in all these old clothes--just haven't found it yet! (I just sent a huge pile of clothes to the Salvation Army. I know I am gonna be so mad when somebody tells me a killer idea I could have used!)
My MIL makes denim quilts from all of our old jeans, nothing better in the middle of winter than a denim quilt :D Hubby uses old tshirts for filtering buckets full of liquids and for grease rags, and I, Mom, and MIL all use rags for washing milk animals udders before milking. Old socks usually become rags that I wash the horses faces with (you can put them over your hand and wash eyes and nostrils very easily) or apply fly repellent to their faces, socks are also good for protecting horses tails if they are braided or for keeping wound bandages clean.