What to Do With Fabric

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If old denims are a part of your stash ... I read somewhere about a storage/organizer, particular good for teens, made out of jeans pockets. Make a backing of some sort - I would probably use jeans legs, cut open - however big you want it to be. Then cut out the pockets of various old jeans - the original suggested the fancy pockets from designer jeans, but I'm sure something else could be managed (or maybe Goodwill will help out). Sew the various pockets to the backing. Figure out a way to hang the whole thing - tabs on the top, and a dowel maybe. It makes a handy place for young people (or others) to store small things.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think I have seen those denim storage things. They ARE really cute, and yes, would be ideal for a young person. And of course, there are the purses/bags made out of jeans that look nifty. I'm trying to come up with some good ideas to make things to sell at a craft fair. Or maybe I could get a little store to let me put stuff in on consignment.

Support

Almost Self-Reliant
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow.. This is a great read!

Now, I have more uses for old clothes.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The lady who wrote that article is right...it's addictive. It doesn't take much skill or concentration and it makes something usable once again. It also makes one feel like they are being more proactive about waste, getting in touch with their roots, and being the ultimate in frugal. All of those things are such that bring me much pleasure...I can't wait to get another hole in some socks now! :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It looks easy enough. I just might have to try it.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I'm going to start trying to make some needle felted wool ball animal ornaments. My husband tends to eventually wear out the toes in his work socks which are wool. So I figure I could probably use chunks of sock balled up in the middle and put the colored roving over it.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I darned a lot of socks growing up. Hated it. We always used a regular light bulb for a darning egg.

This is a good page to revisit. I have the top of an old sock that I use over a canning jar that had some sour dough starter. It gets kind of cold in the house this time of year, but the sock seems to help insulate it a bit.

Last edited:

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes it is!! I have a couple kids that are almost germaphobic, they sure wouldn't touch the wrong water bottle with a dubious sock around it. hahahahahahah

Latest posts