What to do with old clothes?

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just wondered what people do with their old clothes. We take our gently used clothes to Good Will or sell them in a yardsale, but hubby has this amazing ability to burn through blue jeans like CRAZY. If you don't throw them out, he'll wear them. He tried to take me to lunch sunday in what looked like ratty ol' blue jean shorts that had legging's attached to them by a few white strings. I made him change and threw those out ASAP!

The pack rat in me, HATES throwing ANYTHING out. Just wondered if anyone did anything with their old clothes?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I just read that recycled blue jeans are being used as throw pillow stuffing in "Green Designing".

I always take our old clothes to Goodwill. I am planning on making a patchwork quilt soon with all of the ratty clothes that Goodwill won't want.

Braided rug?

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw a blue jean quilt once that was very cute. I'm saving old jeans for one "some day." :D

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can recycle your old jeans. Either reuse them yourself like big brown horse suggests. Or find a dropoff recycling place for wornout clothing. I will see if I can findout were one is online. You can also recycle polyester. It can be made into plastics.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Cut 'em up and make quilts! Or quilted pillow tops! or rugs! or cleaning rags!

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wonderful ideas!

The idea of a quilt, I contemplated and it just didn't "come" to me. But when it was suggested, I imagined a quilt with back pockets on it and laughed! They would make cute pillows or something.

I appreciate it!

-Kim

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I agree....cleaning rags, have them in a pile to use instead of paper towels, quilts.....heck, if you're a good seamstress you could patch them together for a funky skirt! :lol: I'm taking some to Goodwill myself, since with my traveling I don't have room to store them for later quilting *sigh* I can't wait to start homesteading!!!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Make a tote bag out of the jeans. Just cut the crotch out and seam the legs. Attach a couple of straps and you're done.