What to do with old clothes?

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Wolf-Kim said:
See, I didn't even know that clothes could be recycled. I'm so ashamed. :p
I learned alot of things I didn't know from this site...all you have to do is ask, and someone will answer...;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Better ones go to Goodwill when cleaning out closets or the kid grows out of them or recycle to friends that can use them.

Anything raggy MIGHT be kept as some rags. (I have alot of rags...lol)

Super old jeans I throw out. If kinda OK...cut off into shorts.

I don't sew. I don't "do crafts".

At some point I will not let old clothes become clutter. In the final end, in the trash they go. Clothes seem to just accumulate and I de-cluttered once, and won't do it again...lol...so away they go.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Years ago, I made a purse out of some old jeans. Added all kinds of embellishments, including tapestry woven trim, fringe, and embroidery. I loved that purse. Wonder whatever came of it?

Here's a cute tote bag idea:
multi_ribbons_jeans.jpg

Also made a very heavy quilt for my daughter with her old jeans after she lost a lot of weight. Had her friends sign it with Sharpies, with messages of encouragement.

It looked something like this. Lots of pockets.
jeanquilt.jpg

How about an organizer made from cuffs?
Denim_Organizer_Pic.jpg

Braided rug?
6a00d83561e44769e201156eda2748970c-800wi

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
The denim is great for making potholders. I go through so many pot holders, that I am constantly making more, and the heavy denim is nice.

Also, I have read, but haven't yet tried - if you have the t-shirts with the puffy printing, you can baste them on the back of your rugs, and they will keep them from slipping.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I use old jean legs for a tug of war toy for my dog. Usually tie one knot in it. It doesn't shred like those thready toys from the store. It washes up nicely.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I made a clothespin holder with the leg from a pair of my jeans. Just attach a hanger from the old one I had that was falling apart and sew the cuff together. Took me longer to get my machine out and set up than it did to sew the darn thing!

I give all my children's clothes to another family with younger children, I also give some of my clothes to my BF and if she can't wear them she passes them along to other friends. I am long in the torso and forever have the problem of shirts shrinking and not being long enough anymore :rolleyes:

We use old t-shirts for rags, great for cleaning windows and dusting.

I love the purse idea, my mom has made a quilt with jeans on one side and flannel on the other and she sewed it "backwards" with the seams exposed so that they frayed when you wash it. It was really cute!

We take stuff to goodwill and salvation army too!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I use old jean legs for a tug of war toy for my dog. Usually tie one knot in it. It doesn't shred like those thready toys from the store. It washes up nicely.
Oh WOW! I didn't think about that! What a wonderful idea Sylvie!!!

I have just the dog for that idea!!! Thank you!